News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NOAA to East: Beware of coming 'Frankenstorm

Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 01, 2012, 12:51:17 AM
Because the consequences of the lack of privilege is more evident in times like these?

Seems like a pretty daft question, to be honest.

Yeah it is pretty daft to think that we would consider the banking and financial center of the world to be important is a reflection of anything besides common sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

So I think they've said now power will be on Friday or Saturday. I'm still leaning heavily to heading to Boston tonight.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Meow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/michael-brown-obama-hurricane-sandy_n_2044971.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

QuoteMichael Brown, the former FEMA director infamously praised by President George W. Bush for doing a "heckuva job" during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, told a local paper that President Barack Obama acted too quickly in mobilizing relief for Superstorm Sandy.
"Here's my concern," Brown told Denver's Westword on Monday, suggesting that the official response was actually making people complacent. "It's premature [when] the brunt of the storm won't happen until later this afternoon."
Obama declared states of emergency all along East Coast states in the path of Sandy on Sunday, well before the storm hit, allowing federal resources to start flowing where governors thought they would be needed. FEMA and local responders were able to pre-position a lot of the material being drawn upon now.
Obama also held a press conference warning people to pay careful attention to the storm.
"This is a serious and big storm," Obama said after meeting with FEMA officials and talking to governors Sunday. "And my first message is to all the people across the Eastern seaboard, Mid-Atlantic, going north, that you need to take this very seriously."
Brown suggested Obama was just trying to look good.
"He probably figured Sunday was a good day to do a press conference," Brown said in his interview.
                     He also thought Obama's response contrasted poorly to his response to the deadly attacks on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, in which the U.S. ambassador and three others died. "One thing he's gonna be asked is, why did he jump on this so quickly and go back to D.C. so quickly when in ... Benghazi, he went to Las Vegas?" Brown said.
PDH!

garbon

I don't understand Michael Brown's complaint. So it was bad that we got resources in place before the storm had hit - so that they can more quickly be allocated? Sure it makes Obama look better but isn't that rather irrelevant to the people on the grown?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I guess you could complain that he dispensed resources before it was definitely known that they would be needed but that argument seems a little weak.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 09:25:52 AM
I don't understand Michael Brown's complaint. So it was bad that we got resources in place before the storm had hit - so that they can more quickly be allocated? Sure it makes Obama look better but isn't that rather irrelevant to the people on the grown?

Fedrhul guvmint bad.

One would think how the way Katrina developed and caught the Feds with their pants down--when everybody else that could split did days before--the Feds wouldn't want to see the same mistake repeated.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 09:32:30 AM
One would think how the way Katrina developed and caught the Feds with their pants down--when everybody else that could split did days before--the Feds wouldn't want to see the same mistake repeated.

Indeed. He should really just try to stay in obscurity.

garbon

garbon

Okay, I'm glad I'm leaving. They are now saying till 3rd which would be two more fun days!  I feel bad for Westchester where ConEd has now estimated the 10th.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 01, 2012, 01:44:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 01:39:08 PM
I'm glad you can count? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Well I can't see any other reason for your comment unless you were just trying to be a pain in the ass. :)