News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Use of Children in Political Ads

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2012, 06:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve or disapprove of the use of a candidate's children in political ads?

Approve
6 (25%)
Disapprove
14 (58.3%)
Other - Please explain your gutless opinion
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

jimmy olsen

Inspired by this ad for the US senate staring the candidates 5 year old son.

http://hinckleyforsenate.com/tv-splash/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Disapprove.  You use your kids as political props then they become fair game.  Same for political spouses.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Don't they always use their family in Political Ads?  I mean just a family group shot to show the candidate is not gay and stuff.  But generally I think it is really crap to use your family this way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2012, 07:04:11 PM
Disapprove.  You use your kids as political props then they become fair game.  Same for political spouses.

Yeah I remember a young Chelsea Clinton being attacked for being ugly by the entire country in 1992.  That had to suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Disapprove.

FWIW Obama has made heavy use of his girls as props at certain times, interjecting their names into speeches that really have nothing to do with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 07:05:45 PM
Yeah I remember a young Chelsea Clinton being attacked for being ugly by the entire country in 1992.  That had to suck.
Ya, well at least they weren't lying. That's a rare thing for politically tinged topics.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2012, 07:12:42 PM
Disapprove.

FWIW Obama has made heavy use of his girls as props at certain times, interjecting their names into speeches that really have nothing to do with them.

I know Clinton did the same thing.  Leading to said Chelsea mocking.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2012, 07:12:42 PM
Disapprove.

I think it does depend on sincerity and topic.  I respect the Brown's and Blair's kept their children very private.  But I can understand and equally respect the way Cameron would talk about his son Ivan who had epilepsy and cerebral palsy and died a few years ago (Gordon Brown lost a child too, his daughter, Jennifer, died after only 10 day).  He's used it, and his experience of sitting in a hospital overnight to talk about his personal commitment to the NHS, or in his last speech about how he thinks the Paralympics have changed the perception of disabled people.

That seems different from using a child as a prop.

I should say that this seems far more prevalent in the US than the UK.  I think possibly because our press is far nastier and more brutal, they would very much treat any child in the public eye as a fair target.  If the politician keeps them private, except for the odd group photo, they have more protection against the press.

Edit:  Also I think it's fair for Clegg to say that even if people hate him now it's not on for people to have protests outside his family home shouting abuse at him, because he's a man with a young family.  If politicians don't make their family lives public then they should be entitled to keep it private.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Clegg should have known better.  That sort of knobbish behavior works in British politics, so why wouldn't people show up at his house and throw shit at his wife?  Stupidity, violence and rudeness are the virtues of the People, and the virtues that Labour has striven to encourage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I see nothing wrong with using children in political ads.

frunk

All political ads should be produced and written by kids that are ten years old or younger, starring casts of fuzzy animals and robots to illustrate hot button topics.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 09:05:41 PM
I see nothing wrong with using children in political ads.

"They told me if I voted for Goldwater, he would get us into a war in Vietnam. Well, I voted for Goldwater and that's what happened."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

The Brain

Disapprove. Children have no concept of quality and customer focus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.