News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey Comes to Europe

Started by Viking, October 13, 2012, 07:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

So, the NHL lockout has players looking for things to do. My local Hockey Team has signed two NHL players for the duration of the lockout Jack Skille of the Florida Panthers (who has local ancestry in Trondheim) and Deryk Engelland of the Pittburg Penguins. Are these guys worth paying to go see them play. I am marginally positively inclined to watching quality play despite me not really caring about hockey as well as I like the idea of my local team smiting the vile disgusting giants of norwegian hockey in oslo, hamar and stavanger.

So are these guys entertaining enough to make watching fun and are they good enough to win anything.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

neither are big names in the NHL.  In fact I don't even recognize the names.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2012, 07:53:19 AM
So are these guys entertaining enough to make watching fun and are they good enough to win anything.
from past experience:
during the past lock-out a "garage" league recruited a few players, up to 2 per team.  Even if they were 3rd rate players, guys like Donald Brashear, they were significantly better than most other players, and as such, they gave a good show, and elevated the league's play.

I would say try it.  I imagine the tickets don't cost 200$, so why not?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2012, 11:47:51 AM

The fact they're even on NHL rosters means they'll be an upgrade to whatever local athletic club they'll play for in Europe.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2012, 12:29:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2012, 11:47:51 AM

The fact they're even on NHL rosters means they'll be an upgrade to whatever local athletic club they'll play for in Europe.

Remember, the quality of the norwegian league is such that since I moved to norway in 1989 only three players have graduated to play in america, most of the time in the minors. Tickets cost 40 bucks. So, yeah, I'll go watch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.