News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ecoli and you

Started by crazy canuck, October 03, 2012, 03:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

All the beef I buy is grass-fed, and raised locally.  Yep, Kentucky is pretty great. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Yet still in Kentucky, so fail.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 03, 2012, 05:25:38 PM
All the beef I buy is grass-fed, and raised locally.  Yep, Kentucky is pretty great. :cool:

Does it give the beef a blue tint?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I'm way too poor to have a real choice in the matter. I buy whatever is cheap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 04:06:12 PM
generally, better tasting.

My God, have you had grass fed beef.  I mean real grass fed beef. 

@Mart - here's another example...though he seems to have created this thread to show off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 04:56:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
It is scary. Sometimes vegetarianism seems to be the only answer.  But Fuck, I love my steaks.

Not really see as how Zanza pointed out that there have been ecoli outbreaks from veggies.

No, you failed to notice "organic", that means it's 100% superfood and can do you no harm; the 50 people were killed directly by Monsanto hired assassins. 

My apologies. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yes, often. I prefer the marbling I find in grain-fed cattle for flavor. Texture goes to grass-fed, though, hands down.

However, I wasn't stating my preference. I was stating what the national (and international) markets say. Like I said, the Japanese prefer grain-fed cattle so much they're willing to pay a premium to get the grain to feed their cattle.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

@Mart - here's another example...though he seems to have created this thread to show off.

No, its just amazing that there is a view out there that industrial beef tastes better.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 10:47:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

No, its just amazing that there is a view out there that industrial beef tastes better.

Let's see you started a thread in which you've shown your superiority for not freaking about ecoli as well as having the solution to the ecoli beef problem.  Then you shared how you know about the superiorities of grass-feed beef over grain-feed.

Yeah Marti's characterization of you seems about right for this thread as well.

merithyn

:huh:

Why? It's a personal preference just like most flavors. How can that seriously surprise you?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2012, 11:23:43 AM

Why? It's a personal preference just like most flavors. How can that seriously surprise you?

You are going all Slargo on me now.

I will grant you that some people might become accustomed to a more fatty meat.

Here is an interesting article on the things that can effect the taste - not all grass fed beef is created equal. 

Quote"Meat from grass-fed and corn-fed animals will taste different, and even grass-fed animals from different regions or different seasons can have a different flavor profile," says Sean M. Hays, Chief Operating Officer of La Cense Beef, a Montana-based ranch specializing in grass-fed beef. At La Cense, the cattle are fed a combination of bluebunch wheatgrass, rye grass, and a little bit of alfalfa, along with a plethora of other plants. "The variety of grass on our ranch and in this region is the crux of the flavor profile we achieve," he explains. "Seasonality can also change the flavor profile because the feed changes." At La Cense, the slaughter is timed to when the cattle have been feeding on the tallest and most nutritious grasses.

"Cattle that will perform well in the hill country of Texas are not the same that will perform well in the Northeast," says White Oak's Harris. At his ranch, the cows graze on 100% organic native style grasses in the summer, including four species of Bermuda grass and three species of Bahai grass, but in the cool season White Oak cows are eating rye, rye grass, and clover.

While farmers in Texas and Montana need more acreage to get the grass their cattle needs, the East Coast is more efficient. "The Northeast is blessed with an incredible growing season," said Grazin' Angus's Gibson. In the lush Columbia, New York countryside, cattle can chew grass all year long.

The goal is to get the best possible nutrition from the grass. It's not something most people think about, but grass is filled with nutrients, including carbs and protein. Cows can get enough protein from grass, but they need high-quality grass for energy. "It was energy that drove the American farmer to grain," Dan Gibson said. But by selecting the right grasses—high in sugar and carbohydrates, you get both the energy and a food that cows can digest well. Gibson uses a blend of three different rye grasses, orchard grass, and clover. The cows need sugar and carbohydrates to absorb the protein faster and to turn the excess into healthy omega-three laden fat, which results in marbling that rivals corn-fed beef.

"On good grass, you get more marbling in the meat," asserts Wendy Taggart of Burgundy Pasture Beef in Grandview, Texas. "Some plants that an animal eats, such as wild onions, can have a distinct effect on the flavor. We find more earthy flavors in meats when the grasses are greener or more lush."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2012, 11:15:34 AM
Let's see you started a thread in which you've shown your superiority for not freaking about ecoli as well as having the solution to the ecoli beef problem.  Then you shared how you know about the superiorities of grass-feed beef over grain-feed.

Stop being an idiot.  I started the thread freaking out about the fact that people are not dealing with the real cause people die from ecoli bacteria in meat.

If you cant handle the fact I am superior in other ways stay out of my threads.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 01:29:34 PM
If you cant handle the fact I am superior in other ways stay out of my threads.

:lol:

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2012, 01:28:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2012, 11:23:43 AM

You are going all Slargo on me now.

I will grant you that some people might become accustomed to a more fatty meat.

Here is an interesting article on the things that can effect the taste - not all grass fed beef is created equal. 

So you've actually answered your own question.