Ecoli and you

Started by crazy canuck, October 03, 2012, 03:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2012, 03:47:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 03:44:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 03:42:59 PM
Also - if only everyone could afford to eat grass fed beef...:(

The problem isnt so much that grass feed beef is too expensive, it is that heavily subsidized corn warps our food production system so that it encourages beef to be raised in this manner,

I'm pretty damn sure Canada doesn't subsidize corn...

As sure as you were that no corn is fed to cattle in Alberta BB.... :P

There are a couple of points here BB.

First, the type of corn we are talking about.  The type of corn fed to cattle is not fit for human consumption.  It is a different kind of variety of corn that is cheaper to grow.  Also the kind of corn that is used in ethanol production which IIRC is in fact subsidized by the Canadian government.

Second, the Americans ship their subsidized corn here for feed.  Canadian farmers complain because they accuse the Americans of dumping.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 03:47:27 PM
I call it grain because it's not all corn. A number of industrial beef farms use barley instead of corn. It has the same affect as the corn, I think, so a distinction may not be necessary. It was just for clarity that I used the term grain.

I would be interested to see a link that showed some feed lots use no corn.  My understanding is that corn is the preferred feed because it is so heavily subsidized.  I forget the stats on it but feedlots are essentially buying the feed for less than the cost of production.

Canada doesn't subsidize corn. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2012, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 03:47:27 PM
I call it grain because it's not all corn. A number of industrial beef farms use barley instead of corn. It has the same affect as the corn, I think, so a distinction may not be necessary. It was just for clarity that I used the term grain.

I would be interested to see a link that showed some feed lots use no corn.  My understanding is that corn is the preferred feed because it is so heavily subsidized.  I forget the stats on it but feedlots are essentially buying the feed for less than the cost of production.

Canada doesn't subsidize corn. :contract:

Yes it does.

But in any event our feed lots get plenty of American corn for feed.

crazy canuck

@ Meri, your link doesnt say they dont use corn.  Its just that they may supplement the corn with other starches as well.  It would be economic suicide for a large feed lot to cut corn out entirely given how cheap it is.

merithyn

Also, from the same Wiki page:

QuoteCanada

The majority of beef cattle in Ontario are finished on a corn (maize)-based diet, whereas Western Canadian beef is finished on a barley-based diet. This rule is not absolute, however, as producers in both regions will alter the mix of feed grains according to changes in feed prices. Research by the Ontario government claims that, while Alberta beef producers have organized a successful marketing campaign promoting Alberta's barley-fed beef, corn-fed and barley-fed beef have a similar cost, quality, and taste.[4]

[4]"Virtual Beef Newsletter - Corn or Barley for feeding Steers". Omafra.gov.on.ca. 2004-08-20. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/news/vbn0804a3.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

You didnt highlight the part about the feed mixture being changed based on price....

Also it is a mixture.  Nothing says corn is completely absent.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 03:59:19 PM
@ Meri, your link doesnt say they dont use corn.  Its just that they may supplement the corn with other starches as well.  It would be economic suicide for a large feed lot to cut corn out entirely given how cheap it is.

I didn't claim otherwise. :huh: I merely said that I use the term "grain-fed" rather than "corn-fed" because grain is more accurate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 03:59:19 PM

I didn't claim otherwise. :huh: I merely said that I use the term "grain-fed" rather than "corn-fed" because grain is more accurate.

Ok I thought you were suggesting there are some instances where corn is not used at all.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 04:02:29 PM

Ok I thought you were suggesting there are some instances where corn is not used at all.

I believe that there are, though I couldn't pull any kind of citation out for that at the moment. In some areas, barley is cheaper, easier to grow, and more resistant to a variety of ecological problems that corn can't withstand. There aren't a lot, granted, and I agree that the corn subsidy should be abolished, but I'm not willing to say that it's an all-or-nothing campaign.

Even abolishing the corn subsidy, there will still be grain-fed cattle. It's cheaper, easier, and generally, better tasting. (Hell, even the Japanese are importing grain now for their cattle because they prefer the taste and texture over all grass-fed beef.)

Zanza

We had a major e-coli outbreak last year that killed more than 50 people and infected about 4000. That wasn't caused by beef though, but by organic sprouts.

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on October 03, 2012, 04:12:35 PM
We had a major e-coli outbreak last year that killed more than 50 people and infected about 4000. That wasn't caused by beef though, but by organic sprouts.

Those sprouts probably did it deliberately.  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 04:06:12 PM
generally, better tasting.

My God, have you had grass fed beef.  I mean real grass fed beef. 

Josephus

It is scary. Sometimes vegetarianism seems to be the only answer.  But Fuck, I love my steaks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
It is scary. Sometimes vegetarianism seems to be the only answer.  But Fuck, I love my steaks.

Not really see as how Zanza pointed out that there have been ecoli outbreaks from veggies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 04:56:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2012, 04:50:34 PM

Not really see as how Zanza pointed out that there have been ecoli outbreaks from veggies.

No, you failed to notice "organic", that means it's 100% superfood and can do you no harm; the 50 people were killed directly by Monsanto hired assassins. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"