Mideast Christians Leaving for Sane Places, Not Spawning like Possums

Started by Queequeg, May 13, 2009, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteA Syrian international aid worker said, "When other Arabs find out that I am Christian, many seem shocked to discover that you can be both an Arab and a Christian." The worker asked to remain anonymous so as not to bring attention to his faith.

That sort of says it all right there.

Interesting there is so much hysteria about the horrid Islamophobia going on in the West when the death of ancient Christian cultures is going on in the East and nobody cares.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 03:18:44 PM
Interesting there is so much hysteria about the horrid Islamophobia going on in the West when the death of ancient Christian cultures is going on in the East and nobody cares.

I guess not everyone is interested in the protecting every little culture that one can find.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Yeah, a sad trend, Christians moving out of the Mideast, and I figured that it's been going on for a while.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:22:30 PM
I guess not everyone is interested in the protecting every little culture that one can find.

:(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:22:30 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 03:18:44 PM

That would be a sensible response if he was not directly comparing to to the concern people show over perceived Islamaphobia in the West.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 03:23:47 PM
That would be a sensible response if he was not directly comparing to to the concern people show over perceived Islamaphobia in the West.

Islamaphobia has, in part, to deal with perceived threat to our cultures.  I don't see why scared Westerners would perceive smaller Christian cultures in the Middle East as equivalent to Western cultures.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:29:13 PM
Islamaphobia has, in part, to deal with perceived threat to our cultures.  I don't see why scared Westerners would perceive smaller Christian cultures in the Middle East as equivalent to Western cultures.

Likewise why would those same Westerners care about Islamophobia?  What are you talking about?

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 03:33:13 PM

Likewise why would those same Westerners care about Islamophobia?  What are you talking about?

You mentioned Islam, so garby is going into his reflexive "defend Islam" mode. Don't worry about it.

0 rows returned

garbon

Well those Westerners are the ones engaging in Islamophobia...:unsure:

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 03:23:47 PM

Islamaphobia has, in part, to deal with perceived threat to our cultures. 

CAN WE GET A TRANSLATOR IN HERE????

0 rows returned

Malthus

I'm not even sure he knows what he's distainfully sneering about.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 03:34:56 PM
You mentioned Islam, so garby is going into his reflexive "defend Islam" mode. Don't worry about it.

Not in this instance no.  I just fail to see why if a person in...let's say France, was terrified of muslims who won't participate in French culture (and thus see Islam as a threat) would be up in arms about smaller Middle Eastern cultures being erased by Islam.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 03:34:56 PM

Not in this instance no.  I just fail to see why if a person in...let's say France, was terrified of muslims who won't participate in French culture (and thus see Islam as a threat) would be up in arms about smaller Middle Eastern cultures being erased by Islam.

But that has nothing to do with what Valmy said.

He was just pointing out that people like you will fly to the defense of Islam and attack the crafted threat of "Islamaphobia" while not apparently caring much about the vastly greater xenophobia shown by Muslims when the roles are reversed.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 03:38:55 PM
But that has nothing to do with what Valmy said.

He was just pointing out that people like you will fly to the defense of Islam and attack the crafted threat of "Islamaphobia" while not apparently caring much about the vastly greater xenophobia shown by Muslims when the roles are reversed.

Oh, I misread his post. Sorry, Valmy.

To Valmy's actual point (:blush:), that's probably not a fair characterization of anyone's views.  I hardly think Islam should get a free pass on anything, but I'm not going to run around about how it is the root of all evil like Siege, DP, Grallon, Slargos, Marti, etc.  You shouldn't be surprised therefore that I'm not going to spend time attacking Islam as I think those bases are sufficiently covered. ;)