Mideast Christians Leaving for Sane Places, Not Spawning like Possums

Started by Queequeg, May 13, 2009, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Odd so much sympathy for people who would normally be sneered at here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 03:47:25 PM

Who sneers at Christians here, other than Marty?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

I'm pretty sure we all like to crucify the Religious Reich and various other fundi's on a  regular basis. However, lately, there's other good targets of opportunity so they are getting a bible break.
humans were created in their own image

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 03:33:13 PM
Likewise why would those same Westerners care about Islamophobia?  What are you talking about?

Well those Westerners are the ones engaging in Islamophobia...:unsure:
I'm not an Islamophobe, I'm a Muslim Arabaphobe.  I tend to think of most other Muslims as the victims of Arab insanity. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Quote from: saskganesh on May 13, 2009, 04:16:16 PM
I'm pretty sure we all like to crucify the Religious Reich and various other fundi's on a  regular basis. However, lately, there's other good targets of opportunity so they are getting a bible break.

Sure, Languish is hard on fundys of all striped, that doesn't mean it is hostile to Christians in general though.

Some of my best friends love Jesus!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 04:17:35 PM

Sure, Languish is hard on fundys of all striped, that doesn't mean it is hostile to Christians in general though.

Some of my best friends love Jesus!

Marcin is now infatuated with a gay Spaniard?  :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Siege

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2009, 03:42:51 PM
To Valmy's actual point (:blush:), that's probably not a fair characterization of anyone's views.  I hardly think Islam should get a free pass on anything, but I'm not going to run around about how it is the root of all evil like Siege, DP, Grallon, Slargos, Marti, etc.  You shouldn't be surprised therefore that I'm not going to spend time attacking Islam as I think those bases are sufficiently covered. ;)

I got you covered.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 04:09:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 03:47:25 PM

Who sneers at Christians here, other than Marty?
I don't sneer at Christians, either, at least not any more than I sneer at any monotheists.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2009, 05:28:09 PM
I don't sneer at Christians, either, at least not any more than I sneer at any monotheists.

Why do you distinguish between monotheists and other theists?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 05:29:12 PM

While it's not an universal rule, monotheists seem to have a tendency to be more stuck up and full of themselves, metaphysically and theologically, than polytheists. Plus, as a Westerner, their beliefs have a much greater (and negative) influence on my life. Perhaps if I lived in India, I'd sneer at polytheists.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2009, 05:29:12 PM

Don't mind him.  He's just trying to sound clever, and failing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2009, 04:17:32 PM

I'm not an Islamophobe, I'm a Muslim Arabaphobe.  I tend to think of most other Muslims as the victims of Arab insanity.

Well historically they were.  That's how they became muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2009, 02:20:00 PM
You know what makes a brilliant, advanced society?  Kicking out all the educated, hard working minorities.  Yup.  Nothing quite like it.

For some reaosn, I read this statement and my first thought was "All Germans in Eastern Europe after 1918."

QuoteWe should have made Lebanon into some kind of Israel for Mid-East Christians.  Maybe include the entire Levantine coast north of Israel, including the Syrian coast.  Real shame that the greatest people of the region are forced to leave because the region's growing insanity.

Ethnic cleansing. The cause of, and solution ot, all of life's problems!

Siege

Quote from: Faeelin on May 13, 2009, 09:07:50 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2009, 02:20:00 PM
You know what makes a brilliant, advanced society?  Kicking out all the educated, hard working minorities.  Yup.  Nothing quite like it.

For some reaosn, I read this statement and my first thought was "All Germans in Eastern Europe after 1918."

QuoteWe should have made Lebanon into some kind of Israel for Mid-East Christians.  Maybe include the entire Levantine coast north of Israel, including the Syrian coast.  Real shame that the greatest people of the region are forced to leave because the region's growing insanity.

Ethnic cleansing. The cause of, and solution ot, all of life's problems!

I would call it religious cleansing.
When there is a religion that doesn't play well with others, it is our moral duty to eliminate it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on May 13, 2009, 09:07:50 PM

I presume you meant all Germans in Eastern Europe after 1945.  And Hitler sort of set them up by using them as a fifth column for his Eastern Europe ambitions.  The Eastern Europeans came to see the Germans as a security risk since they sorta had been for ten years.  And it was World War 2 and what had been unthinkable in 1935 was suddenly standard operation by 1945.  Context is important.  The Eastern Europeans certainly would never have done that in 1918 and without the horror of World War 2.

QuoteEthnic cleansing. The cause of, and solution ot, all of life's problems!

I remembered reading about what the French did when they created Lebanon.  They basically took the area around Mount Lebanon that the Christians actually controlled and gave them a bunch of Muslim inhabited territory.  I do think it probably would have been more natural to have made Lebanon smaller and more homogeneous but the Euros were always pretty poor at drawing up new country borders.  If Spellus meant that I agree with him.  But he seems to have meant giving the whole coast to the Christians which is basically what the French tried to do and look how lovely that worked out?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."