And we're back!

Main Menu

So, What Do You Get Out Of History ?

Started by mongers, September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2012, 08:52:54 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2012, 08:51:29 PM
Tim. Then form a power bloc with seedy to make ourselves kings.

What, so you could whack me in the counter-revolutionary purge?  NYET SO FAST MY FRIEND

I am the 100%
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

History is entertaining and interesting. Plus it helps refute those old farts that start every second sentence with "in my day". Screw you, people sucked back then just like they do now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 21, 2012, 09:19:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
I think you took that to literally, Yi.

What gave it away?  :D

Saying someone is dumber then Marty is like saying someone is "as dumb as a stump".  It's a figure of speech.  A hyperbole.  It's physically impossible to be that dumb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2012, 07:43:16 PM
"If trapped on a desert island with every member of Languish, who would be the best to cannibalize first?"

Well, I think you'd have to take down the fattest members first, because A) obviously they have more meat on them, and B) otherwise they'll eat everybody else up too quickly.  I'm not sure who's the fattest, though.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2012, 06:11:00 PM
I find the question of what you get out of fiction more interesting. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I've become a hardcore Trollope fan, and I can't work out what it is about him I enjoy so much.

I read the Palliser series this year and the Barsetshire ones a couple of years back; as the winter sets in I'll be moving on to his other works I expect. I've also reflected on what I enjoy about them and have concluded that they are essentially upmarket soap opera. They fill the same gap that other people might use Eastenders or Coronation Street for.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 11:19:34 PM
"If trapped on a desert island with every member of Languish, who would be the best to cannibalize first?"

Well, I think you'd have to take down the fattest members first, because A) obviously they have more meat on them, and B) otherwise they'll eat everybody else up too quickly.  I'm not sure who's the fattest, though.

I guess this thread idea would have worked better then I thought.  Probably better then one my other thread ideas, "what is your social security number?". 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 22, 2012, 01:11:13 AM

I read the Palliser series this year and the Barsetshire ones a couple of years back; as the winter sets in I'll be moving on to his other works I expect. I've also reflected on what I enjoy about them and have concluded that they are essentially upmarket soap opera. They fill the same gap that other people might use Eastenders or Coronation Street for.
I think this is it. I know he's not as good as, say, Dickens but there's something compulsive about him. Also they're the only Victorian novels I've read that I almost imagine as a period drama.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

It's like church- it's not what I get out of it, it's what I put into it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2012, 01:24:48 AM
Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 11:19:34 PM

I guess this thread idea would have worked better then I thought.  Probably better then one my other thread ideas, "what is your social security number?".

You are constantly misspelling "than" as "then".

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2012, 10:17:19 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 21, 2012, 09:19:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
I think you took that to literally, Yi.

What gave it away?  :D

Saying someone is dumber then Marty is like saying someone is "as dumb as a stump".  It's a figure of speech.  A hyperbole.  It's physically impossible to be that dumb.

It makes you look bad when you make spelling errors in the post in which you call someone dumb. :contract:

sbr