News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, What Do You Get Out Of History ?

Started by mongers, September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Recently I've tentatively started reading a few history books again, something I have done for years. And it prompted me to ask the question why am I doing this and what do I get out of it.

So, what do you get out of history ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2012, 04:11:38 PM
The words of old white men. :yuk:

Well stop reading those books; you could net the exact same thing from listening to me.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2012, 04:11:38 PM
The words of old white men. :yuk:

Conversely, I've taken to reading Afrocentric literature.  Rather enlightening.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I get a supplement to my paycheck.

Also, the fun of teaching 120 freshmen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM
Recently I've tentatively started reading a few history books again, something I have done for years. And it prompted me to ask the question why am I doing this and what do I get out of it.

Same thing I get out of reading philosophy. It makes me a better person.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Phillip V

I use history to form my moral character and decisionmaking.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2012, 04:39:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

Same thing I get out of reading philosophy. It makes me a better person.

So when are you going to finally reach slightly good?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I just liked history cause I found it entertaining.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2012, 04:47:44 PM
Best horror and sex stories.

Barrister

:yes:

It's funnier because its true.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on September 20, 2012, 04:48:50 PM

Well there was the added benefit of being able to bore people to death at parties with historical Trivia.  Then I found that I could better results just making shit up,  "Most European countries are named for their founders.  For instance France was named after King Francis, Britain was named after Queen Brittney and Russia was named for Emperor Russ.  Germany is a bit of a strange case as it's named after it's chief export, germs".  Now I don't go to parties so it's sort of a moot point I suppose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2012, 05:05:31 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 20, 2012, 04:48:50 PM

Well there was the added benefit of being able to bore people to death at parties with historical Trivia.  Then I found that I could better results just making shit up,  "Most European countries are named for their founders.  For instance France was named after King Francis, Britain was named after Queen Brittney and Russia was named for Emperor Russ.  Germany is a bit of a strange case as it's named after it's chief export, germs".  Now I don't go to parties so it's sort of a moot point I suppose.
That's horrible. :(

Sheilbh

Different things. Generally it's because I'm interested in something and want to know more, in which case I'll read many versions. Sometimes I feel there's a gap that I need to fill. Most rarely it's for the writing, Wedgwood on the Thirty Years War for example. Also just out of a sense of fun, this is especially the way with ancient histories like Livy and Herodotus.

As to what I get out of it, well hopefully enough bare facts to agree or fight with a strong argument.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney