News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, What Do You Get Out Of History ?

Started by mongers, September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 21, 2012, 02:43:55 AM
I almost never get the chance to discuss it over a beer, and I could probably relate to others better if my interests were more demotic. 

ain't that the truth

Martinus

A somewhat related question: do you have a preference for one kind of history books and if so what kind of books do you prefer?

Do you prefer summa/"magnum opus"-style comprehensive coverages of entire periods from the beginning to the end, like Steven Runciman's "History of the Crusades"? Or do you prefer more "snapshot/vignette/essay"-style books that choose some more abstract concept and then cover it selectively but e.g. over a longer period of time or over a greater geographical area (e.g. Umbert Eco's "History of Beauty" or Norman Davies' "Lost Kingdoms")?

The Brain

Most non-French books will do. French history books suck.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Speaking of which, the Romans vs. Barbarians thread and my reading of wikipedia entries about the fall of Rome made me realise that (1) I am largely ignorant of the period (in Polish history education, this is covered by essentially mentioning the year of abdication of Romulus Augustulus and that this is the beginning of middle ages. End of story) and (2) this was a very interesting period. So could anyone recommend a good book on that?

Syt

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 21, 2012, 02:43:55 AMOf course, there are drawbacks as well.  I almost never get the chance to discuss it over a beer, and I could probably relate to others better if my interests were more demotic.

Indeed. Last week we had a company event, and I was surrounded by 500 real estate agents. Fortunately, our head of finance from Canada had brought her husband who is a bit of a history buff. We spent the whole evening drinking beer and talking history.

He reminded me a lot of Richard Hakluyt in his rather sensible views, taste for beer and historic interests. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2012, 04:15:44 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 21, 2012, 02:43:55 AMOf course, there are drawbacks as well.  I almost never get the chance to discuss it over a beer, and I could probably relate to others better if my interests were more demotic.

Indeed. Last week we had a company event, and I was surrounded by 500 real estate agents. Fortunately, our head of finance from Canada had brought her husband who is a bit of a history buff. We spent the whole evening drinking beer and talking history.

He reminded me a lot of Richard Hakluyt in his rather sensible views, taste for beer and historic interests. :)

I know. I used to have 2-3 work colleagues who were history buffs like me and could discuss a broad range of topics, from the Flavian succession to the role of Turkey in the Thirty Years War. They have since left and people I work with mostly talk about their kids, their cars or where they want to go on vacation.  :(

garbon

Marti go back to that thread. We made several reccomendations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2012, 04:07:44 AM
Speaking of which, the Romans vs. Barbarians thread and my reading of wikipedia entries about the fall of Rome made me realise that (1) I am largely ignorant of the period (in Polish history education, this is covered by essentially mentioning the year of abdication of Romulus Augustulus and that this is the beginning of middle ages. End of story) and (2) this was a very interesting period. So could anyone recommend a good book on that?

Gibbon? Not because he is brilliant, but because every other book on the topic is written in light of gibbon either to refute, improve or agree with him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Don't bother with Gibbon.  He was writing a morality play, not history as we understand it.

Maladict

Quote from: Viking on September 21, 2012, 07:54:19 AM
Gibbon? Not because he is brilliant, but because every other book on the topic is written in light of gibbon either to refute, improve or agree with him.

It's a great read because of its scope and style, just know it's hopelessly outdated, bigoted and pretty much ignored these days.
Martinus will probably love it.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on September 21, 2012, 08:09:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 21, 2012, 07:54:19 AM

It's a great read because of its scope and style, just know it's hopelessly outdated, bigoted and pretty much ignored these days.
Martinus will probably love it.

:face:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2012, 04:10:24 PM
Recently I've tentatively started reading a few history books again, something I have done for years. And it prompted me to ask the question why am I doing this and what do I get out of it.

So, what do you get out of history ?
You tentatively start reading and then what?
PDH!

grumbler

Hopefully, what one "gets out of history" is the ability to resist asking sophomoric questions on internet discussion boards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on September 21, 2012, 08:25:51 AM
Hopefully, what one "gets out of history" is the ability to resist asking sophomoric questions on internet discussion boards.

Wikipedia begs to differ...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM