News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World Domination

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2012, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who had the best shot at achieving lasting world hegemony?

Roman Empire - All Roads Lead to Rome
2 (5.4%)
Umayyad Caliphate - Allahu Akbar!
0 (0%)
Song Dynasty - The Middle Kingdom
1 (2.7%)
Mongol Empire - It is not sufficient that I suceed, all others must fail
1 (2.7%)
Ming Empire - The 8th voyage of Admirial Zheng He
0 (0%)
Ottoman Empire - The Eternal State
0 (0%)
Hapsburg Empire - Let others wage war; you, fortunate Austria, marry
1 (2.7%)
Mughal Empire - A king should deem no one his relation
0 (0%)
House of Bourbon - I am the state
0 (0%)
First British Empire - The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire
8 (21.6%)
First French Empire - Liberté, égalité, fraternité
2 (5.4%)
Japanese Empire - All the World Under One Roof
0 (0%)
Third Reich - Deutschland über alles
0 (0%)
Soviet Union - Workers of the World Unite!
0 (0%)
United States of America - An Empire of Liberty
8 (21.6%)
Other
3 (8.1%)
World Domination is Impossible
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

jimmy olsen

Did this a couple of years ago but it's since been lost to the void, so lets see if there any new thoughts on the matter. All the cool super-villains want it, but who had the best chance of getting it?

Added a few new contenders as well and tried to make it less Eurocentric. These include the Song Dynasty, the House of Bourbon, the Mughal Empire and the Empire of Japan.

For those wishing to vote for Spain, it's covered by the Hapsburg and Bourbon options.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

What is this bullshit?  I thought CdM was suppose to protecting us from this kind of thing!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

The Song. The combination of technolgy, liberalism, reason, population, resources would be a winning combination had it not been for the squat ugric chaps on small horses.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2012, 09:14:30 AM
The Song. The combination of technolgy, liberalism, reason, population, resources would be a winning combination had it not been for the squat ugric chaps on small horses.

Is that by The Band?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

None of the above.  The pre-modern empires lacked the technology to avoid fracturing, the early modern empires were incapable of overcoming their rivals, and the superpowers were hemmed in by The Bomb.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

The United States has not reached its full potential yet. If it becomes less white and increases its birth/immigration rate (while the rest of the world gets Americanized / speaks English), the U.S. can become better positioned to achieve world domination.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on September 16, 2012, 09:35:59 AM
The United States has not reached its full potential yet. If it becomes less white and increases its birth/immigration rate (while the rest of the world gets Americanized / speaks English), the U.S. can become better positioned to achieve world domination.
The evidence doesn't seem to support your assertion.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on September 16, 2012, 09:50:36 AM
The evidence doesn't seem to support your assertion.
What evidence.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

I'm surprised this mentions The Third Reich (which lasted for 10 years after it started to annex neighbours) and not, eg., Alexander's empire.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2012, 01:40:59 PM
I'm surprised this mentions The Third Reich (which lasted for 10 years after it started to annex neighbours) and not, eg., Alexander's empire.

Two words:  Timmaytard. Poll.

Lettow77

Man, i'm, on Neil with this one. Becoming less White is the most foolhardy roadmap for success I've yet heard.

That might be pretty silly, but it's not quite as bad as the Japanese Empire sneaking into the poll. INFILTRATION DOCTRINE
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

How does including the Bourbons make it less Eurocentric?
Winner of THE grumbler point.