And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2012, 05:20:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 05:11:08 PM
They are probably smarter than our president, who was too stupid to realize Egypt actually is a US ally.

Paying them bribe money doesn't make them an ally.

Like Pakistan is an ally.  Or China is an ally.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 05:39:29 PM
Like Pakistan is an ally.  Or China is an ally.

Right-o
Pakistan is a MNNA designee as well BTW.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Rand Paul has tabled a bill in the Senate to cut all aid to Libya, Egypt, and Pakistan.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2012, 05:45:34 PM
Rand Paul has tabled a bill in the Senate to cut all aid to Libya, Egypt, and Pakistan.

"Personhood" amendments attached?  Wait, of course there are.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 05:47:21 PM

You've officially passed up Raz.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2012, 05:53:06 PM

It's Rand Paul, dude.  Man doesn't mail his electricity bill without a "Personhood" amendment attached to it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
They are probably smarter than our president, who was too stupid to realize Egypt actually is a US ally.

You do know there's a new government in town over there, right?  Our man Hosni's not in charge anymore, but a whole lot of people that didn't appreciate our support of him for decades are now.  You do realize the difference?

This isn't your father's Egypt anymore.

Fuck'em. For a billion and a half a year, I want obedience.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 05:35:27 PM

You do know there's a new government in town over there, right?  Our man Hosni's not in charge anymore, but a whole lot of people that didn't appreciate our support of him for decades are now.  You do realize the difference?

This isn't your father's Egypt anymore.

So then I take it you disagree with Obama's clarified position?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 06:03:17 PM

The "clarified position" is not a contradiction of his original statement.  So solly.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 06:08:44 PM

The "clarified position" is not a contradiction of his original statement.  So solly.

Yes it is.  They have officially been a "Non-NATO ally" since the late 80s.  Obama yesterday incorrectly said they were not an ally, and his spokesman today said Egypt's status is not changing.

So either you have to agree with Obama's statement yesterday that Egypt is not an ally, or agree with today's "clarified" statement.  You can't agree with both, as much as you'd love to, being an unquestioning Obama worshiper.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Oh, ffs, Egypt has never been a real ally, nor has any other Arab country.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2012, 05:53:06 PM

That mean you are going cry "stalking" and bail when CdM talks to you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 06:54:13 PM

Yes it is.  They have officially been a "Non-NATO ally" since the late 80s.  Obama yesterday incorrectly said they were not an ally, and his spokesman today said Egypt's status is not changing.

So either you have to agree with Obama's statement yesterday that Egypt is not an ally, or agree with today's "clarified" statement.  You can't agree with both, as much as you'd love to, being an unquestioning Obama worshiper.

His spokesman also said, "I think folks are reading way too much into this."  Kinda like you.

I can appreciate you fishing for an angle on this one, but there's none to be found, derMittens.  You'd be better off Bernanke-bashing.

Viking

The Non-NATO ally designation is not so much a list of countries that are allied (like NATO) but rather countries which have access to certain military technologies.

Yet another in a long list of abuses of language.

Israel, Egypt, Morroco, Jordan, Argentina, Thailand and Pakistan are not countries the US is allied with. They are countries that the US wants to help build proper armies.

QuoteNations named as major non-NATO allies are eligible for the following benefits:
entry into cooperative research and development projects with the Department of Defense (DoD) on a shared-cost basis
participation in certain counter-terrorism initiatives
purchase of depleted uranium anti-tank rounds
priority delivery of military surplus (ranging from rations to ships)
possession of War Reserve Stocks of DoD-owned equipment that are kept outside of American military bases
loans of equipment and materials for cooperative research and development projects and evaluations
permission to use American financing for the purchase or lease of certain defense equipment
reciprocal training
expedited export processing of space technology
permission for the country's corporations to bid on certain DoD contracts for the repair and maintenance of military equipment outside the United States
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 06:54:13 PM

Where is it written that Egypt is "Officially a non-Nato Ally"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017