News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I really wish you guys would stop posting and reposting that picture.

Valmy

Well at the end of the day nobody in Cairo was actually harmed.  I am sure they have ammo now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
The State crew on the ground in Cairo isn't as stupid as Mittens and derfetus want them to be.

QuoteWhile Egyptian protesters battled security forces outside the US embassy on Thursday morning, another standoff was taking place -- this time in cyberspace.

The Muslim Brotherhood's official English-language Twitter account @Ikwanweb reposted a message from the group's deputy head, Khairat El-Shater, saying he was "relieved none of @USembassycairo staff was hurt" and expressing his hope that US-Egypt relations could weather the events.

This reconciliatory tweet, however, was posted while the Brotherhood's Arabic-language Twitter account and its official website were both praising the protests -- staged against a US-made film judged defamatory towards Islam -- and calling for a million man march on Friday.

One Arabic language article on the Brotherhood's site sported the headline 'Egyptians rise to defend the Prophet'.

Noting the contradiction, the US Embassy in Cairo tweeted a tart response from its own account: "Thanks. By the way, have you checked out your own Arabic feeds? I hope you know we read those too."

Seemingly stung, the Brotherhood replied some 20 minutes later, saying  "we understand you're under a lot of stress, but it will be more helpful if you point out exactly the Arabic feed of concern."

They were just three tweets, but they provided a snapshot into the strains US-Egypt relations are under this week.

Not sure I ever said they were stupid, but getting in a pissing match via Twitter does not necessarily mean they're smart.

They are probably smarter than our president, who was too stupid to realize Egypt actually is a US ally.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 05:11:08 PM
They are probably smarter than our president, who was too stupid to realize Egypt actually is a US ally.

Smart enough to know when the game is over you do not want to be caught on the losing side.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Did Hans hack your account or did you just take a stupid pill?

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2012, 05:12:16 PM

Why?

Anyway, the White House 'clarified' the remark but did so half-assedly:

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/09/13/white_house_clarifies_obama_s_statement_that_egypt_is_not_an_ally
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on September 13, 2012, 04:54:02 PM
What do I know about Texas?!
Dude my family has lived in that damn infernal state for couple hundred years. From my dad through great-great grandfather were born in state, I finally broke that streak. :P

I don't go there for a reason, and it isn't unfamiliarity.  :contract:

Traitor.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 05:13:43 PM
Why?

Ok well what should we have done?  Made empty statements in support of the Egyptian losers instead of the Egyptian winners?  That is your International Relations plan?  Brilliant.

The Minsky Moment

Paying them bribe money doesn't make them an ally. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I think he's going to be like this for a few more months. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 05:13:43 PM

Why?

Anyway, the White House 'clarified' the remark but did so half-assedly:

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/09/13/white_house_clarifies_obama_s_statement_that_egypt_is_not_an_ally

Mitt gaffe followed by a Barry gaffe. sigh...

and there I was hoping for another "Cornelius Gallus i no longer a friend of mine" moment in history.... sigh...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2012, 05:20:55 PM

Enough about Israel.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 05:26:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 13, 2012, 05:20:55 PM

Enough about Israel.

Opposite direction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

You do know there's a new government in town over there, right?  Our man Hosni's not in charge anymore, but a whole lot of people that didn't appreciate our support of him for decades are now.  You do realize the difference?

This isn't your father's Egypt anymore.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2012, 05:09:49 PM
I really wish you guys would stop posting and reposting that picture.

We can agree on that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.