News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mars Rover "Curiosity" Landing tonight

Started by CountDeMoney, August 05, 2012, 08:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Razgovory

Did Seedy Ban Timmay today or something?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 07:28:21 PM

No he's too busy being a tour guide to his visiting hermana
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on August 06, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 07:28:21 PM

No he's too busy being a tour guide to his visiting hermana

Well what ever keeps him busy.

Monoriu

The pictures are a bit of a disappointment though.  I would expect high resolution colour photos, not black and white ones.  I hope they have plans to take better pictures later. 

Maximus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 06, 2012, 08:44:46 PM
The pictures are a bit of a disappointment though.  I would expect high resolution colour photos, not black and white ones.  I hope they have plans to take better pictures later.
Mars has a crappy ISP

Monoriu

Quote from: Maximus on August 06, 2012, 08:47:01 PM
Mars has a crappy ISP

I am quite sure that I have seen colour pictures sent by the Viking mission.  If they could do it in the 70s, I see no reason why they can't do it now. 

Maximus

Those pictures were sent within a couple minutes of landing. The landing site didn't have line of site to Earth. There was a satellite overhead for a short time right after landing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 06, 2012, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 06, 2012, 08:47:01 PM
Mars has a crappy ISP

I am quite sure that I have seen colour pictures sent by the Viking mission.  If they could do it in the 70s, I see no reason why they can't do it now.

The color photos came later.  The initial photography from Spirit and Opportunity were black and white as well.  It'll take a while before they get color pictures.  Keep in mind this isn't just a sight seeing tour, this rover is primarily a chemistry lab.  I believe a lot of the previous photos were put together from a whole series of pictures.  It takes a while to send commands and get data from Mars.  It may be days or even weeks before we get good pictures.

CountDeMoney

Those initial pics were from the vehicle's hazard cameras, which were the first to fire up automatically.  Some of the good stuff should start showing up later in the week.

Razgovory

This is nice.  We can all be positive and constructive in this thread without Tim hyperventilating.

Syt

You can follow the rover's progress in 3D here:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/explore/curiosity

(Be sure to check out the menu items at the top to get more mission info)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2012, 12:29:53 AM
You can follow the rover's progress in 3D here:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/explore/curiosity

(Be sure to check out the menu items at the top to get more mission info)

I remember as a kid getting the National Geographic magazines which had the photos of the outer planets.  that was such a huge deal.

Now you get these kinds of pictures as they happen on the web.

:mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Yeah, up till my teens I was following/reading/watching everything planets/universe related as well.

These days I'm happy with History's Universe series.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.