Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 12:46:01 PM
Why would he only punish us? Why hasn't he already thrown down on other nations that have adopted such measures?

Why are you asking me?  I don't even believe in God.  :huh:
:o We have atheists on Languish?

MadImmortalMan

I'm pretty sure that what we think marriage is and what Mr. CFA thinks it is are different things. So the premise of the question is suspect from the beginning. It's difficult to find common ground.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Because you postulated that it is a possible negative effect. Seems like it would only make sense to worry about that if a) we were treading on virgin ground (tee-hee) or b) had seen similar terrible things happen sometime after other countries legalized gay marriage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2012, 01:07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that what we think marriage is and what Mr. CFA thinks it is are different things. So the premise of the question is suspect from the beginning. It's difficult to find common ground.

What question is suspect?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 12:52:46 PMOK, you seem to be making a distinction between condemning choices and condemning what a person is born with.  I can possibly live with this distinction.

Excellent.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 02, 2012, 01:03:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 12:46:01 PM
Why would he only punish us? Why hasn't he already thrown down on other nations that have adopted such measures?

:o We have atheists on Languish?

Even preacher's kids are atheists here :weep:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2012, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 12:52:46 PMOK, you seem to be making a distinction between condemning choices and condemning what a person is born with.  I can possibly live with this distinction.

Excellent.

Isn't it a choice to get gay married? :(

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:44:09 PMIsn't it a choice to get gay married? :(

Well yes, and it's also a choice for a black person to go to a specific school.

So just like it's bigoted to try to keep black people out of specific schools, it's bigoted to try to prevent gay people from getting married.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2012, 01:46:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:44:09 PMIsn't it a choice to get gay married? :(

So just like it's bigoted to try to keep black people out of specific schools, it's bigoted to try to prevent gay people from getting married.

Fair though one could conceivably not act on one's homosexual urges which doesn't really have an equivalent as a black person, does it?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:49:48 PM

Fair though one could conceivably not act on one's homosexual urges which doesn't really have an equivalent as a black person, does it?

:zipped:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2012, 01:55:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:49:48 PM

:zipped:

You are right. You'd better not touch that one. :grr:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:49:48 PMFair though one could conceivably not act on one's homosexual urges which doesn't really have an equivalent as a black person, does it?

So?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:49:48 PMFair though one could conceivably not act on one's homosexual urges which doesn't really have an equivalent as a black person, does it?

So?

Well then I don't think the whole actions versus identity thing is so clear...as I believe their objection is to homosexual acts (something one can control) and not that a homosexual exists (not within a person's control).  A homosexual is still a homosexual even when not acting on it.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 03:21:45 PMWell then I don't think the whole actions versus identity thing is so clear...as I believe their objection is to homosexual acts (something one can control) and not that a homosexual exists (not within a person's control).  A homosexual is still a homosexual even when not acting on it.

I'm not really that interested in the equivocation behind the bigotry, to be honest. That said, opposition to "homesexual acts" isn't really any less bigoted.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2012, 03:27:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 03:21:45 PMWell then I don't think the whole actions versus identity thing is so clear...as I believe their objection is to homosexual acts (something one can control) and not that a homosexual exists (not within a person's control).  A homosexual is still a homosexual even when not acting on it.

I'm not really that interested in the equivocation behind the bigotry, to be honest. That said, opposition to "homesexual acts" isn't really any less bigoted.

I'm not really either - I'm just saying that you and Yi seemed to come to an agreement on a division that doesn't seem particularly clear to me.