Greg Ousley Is Sorry for Killing His Parents. Is That Enough?

Started by sbr, July 23, 2012, 01:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2012, 09:32:33 AM
Quote from: Strix on July 23, 2012, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 08:26:59 AM
Quote from: Martim Silva on July 23, 2012, 08:02:09 AM
His sister knows him, I bet she has good reasons to refuse to let him walk out. Seems like the kind of person that is utterly instable that in a couple of seconds can go from being the nicest guy ever to an homicidal maniac.

Actually it is his aunt and the writer said in 2009 that none of this family had visited him for a decade.  Seems unlikely that she'd know him well.

Duh, he killed his immediate family, so none were left to visit him.  :secret:

But seriously, he lacks the socialization skills required to function in society. He learned to be an "adult" during his incarceration which means he has ZERO coping skills for anything beyond an institution. Of course he attended classes, got a GED, and did everything else he did, they all do, there is nothing to do when locked up. It would be interesting to see his actual prison record i.e. how many violations, what meds, where has he been housed, who has visited him, who he calls, etc, and so on. The problem with "model" prisoners is that their risk factor for society is often determined by a flawed system. New York uses a system called COMPAS which relies on age and recent criminal activity as major factors in determining a prisoners post-incarceration risk levels. The major flaw being that someone locked up more than 2+ years is considered "safe" but doesn't consider that the person hasn't had the chance to commit any major crimes.

... but I take your point.

In a prison context how is that to be understood?

:P
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on July 23, 2012, 09:33:37 AM
So he should have been put to death. Glad we agree Beeb.

Correct.  A 60 year sentence is hardly different from a death sentence, except in how long it takes to get there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2012, 07:47:27 AM
He can always become a motivational speaker.
"If I can kill my parents, so can you!"

DGuller

Just to think, this whole tragedy could've been avoided if his parents had a gun in the house to protect themselves.  :(

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2012, 10:59:15 PM

Correct.  A 60 year sentence is hardly different from a death sentence, except in how long it takes to get there.

Except that with a 60 year sentence, you have the possiblity of early release.  From the article, it appears that at the very least, he's going to be released after 25 years.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2012, 11:10:33 PM
Just to think, this whole tragedy could've been avoided if his parents had a gun in the house to protect themselves safe.  :(
:)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Would dad have been able to reach for his gun in time if it was locked away in a safe?

Solmyr

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 06:44:31 AM
Just to think, this whole tragedy could've been avoided if his parents had used contraceptives a gun in the house to protect themselves safe:(

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on July 24, 2012, 12:32:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2012, 06:44:31 AM
Just to think, this whole tragedy could've been avoided if his parents had used contraceptives a gun in the house to protect themselves safe:(

Clearly they would only have survived if Dguller was giving them guns, Cal was there with a safe and Solmyr was there to provide contraceptives.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on July 24, 2012, 06:40:56 AM

Except that with a 60 year sentence, you have the possiblity of early release.  From the article, it appears that at the very least, he's going to be released after 25 years.

Still, as has been noted, his mind and spirit have likely been pretty badly fucked up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jaron

Yes. Let him go.

He is my age so I feel a sudden bond with him.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2012, 09:14:38 PM
Quote from: dps on July 24, 2012, 06:40:56 AM

Still, as has been noted, his mind and spirit have likely been pretty badly fucked up.

Obviously, that was true before, though.

Frankly, I don't really know exactly what we should do with someone that young who murders someone.  Someone who is 16 or 17, even though they are still technicallly a minor, if they kill somebody, I don't have any problem with sending them to prison for the rest of their life (or even using the death penalty, but the Supreme Court ruled that out).  For someone 14, though, it just does seem right to lock them up forever, but on the other hand, I don't like the idea of just sending them to juvie hall for 4 years, then patting them on the head and letting them go.