News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The slow, painful death of UK armed forces

Started by CountDeMoney, July 13, 2012, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuotePhilip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, is due to outline cuts of up to 20,000 regular troops.

The government argues the changes, drawn up by Lieutenant General Nick Carter, will provide the basis of a smaller but more flexible Army in the future.
The cuts in Army 2020 will be the biggest reforms to the Service since 1904 reducing it to 82,000 men, its smallest size since the Napoleonic Wars.
Five infantry and two cavalry regiments will be lost in the cuts.
Retired infantry officer Charles Heyman said there will be thousands of disappointed soldiers as their regiments "are being assigned to oblivion".
He said nobody wanted to see this reorganisation but there was a "horrible reality" behind the cuts and the army has to "cut its cloth" to what the country could really afford.

List of Regiments to be cut

3rd Bn The Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's)
The "Dukes" originally formed in 1808 and were the first to be named after a commoner, Arthur Wellesley, who became the first Duke of Wellington. The regiment has served with distinction in Iraq and Afghanistan and suffered five killed when a Warrior tank was blown up in Helmand in March.

2nd Bn Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
The Fusiliers produced the most battalions for frontline service during the First World War.
Six soldiers famously won VCs "before breakfast" at Gallipoli. It took part in both the 1991 and 2003 Iraq wars. Soldiers wear a red and white hackle in their beret.

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, the 5th Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. (reduced to ceremonial duites)
Formed as 91st Regiment of Foot in 1759. Most notable for their reoccupation of the rebel held "Crater" area in Aden in 1967 under their CO, Lt Col Colin "Mad Mitch" Mitchell.

2nd Bn The Royal Welsh
Trace their roots to South Wales Borderers who won enduring fame and VCs at Rorke's Drift in 1879. First troops into Belfast in 1969. Have a goat as mascot. The Queen is Colonel in Chief.

3rd Bn The Mercian Regiment
Formerly known as the Staffordshire Regiment tracing their history back to 1705. Led the British force in the 1991 Gulf War covering 180 miles in 100 hours in their Warrior armoured vehicles. Prince of Wales is Colonel in Chief.

Queen Royal Lancers
Etched forever in history as the 'Death or Glory Boys' from the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimea War. Cap badge still carries skull and cross bones. Fought in nearly every campaign since Blenheim.

9th/12th Lancers
Prevailed in the last ever lance-on-lance charge in the First World War at Moncel in 1914
Nicknamed 'The Delhi Spearmen' after the Indian Mutiny. Currently deployed in Helmand. Served in the Second Afghan War of 1878.

2nd Royal Tank Regiment
Formed in 1916 when Britain secretly introduced the tank onto the Somme battlefield and has been at the forefront of heavy tank action ever since. Its colours of brown, red green signify unofficial motto of "through mud, blood and the green fields beyond".

Thoroughly disgusting.  And I'm not even about to discuss the current state of the Royal Navy, as that affront to history speaks for itself.

THE TIME TO STRIKE IS NOW BUENOS AIRES

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

This is what it's like watching a former great power sink into history.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 01:38:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2012, 01:27:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:21:26 PM
:D
The US would have to intervene.  You owe them for Iraq.

We could send Hillary to make a strongly worded statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2012, 01:40:31 PM

I'm honored you think so highly of me, but I'm not sure what I could do :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2012, 01:39:59 PM
So does Russia and China.

If what Russia's recent history is any indication we could cut our army down to five guys with slingshots and still be more than a match for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 13, 2012, 01:41:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2012, 01:40:31 PM

I'm honored you think so highly of me, but I'm not sure what I could do :unsure:

Sorry, girl, but there is only one Hillary in my life.

CountDeMoney

We don't fight colonial wars.

They'd call upon the Commonwealth anyway;  hell, I think the Canuckistani Navy is larger than the RN now.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
You've done it before, although that was to colonize in your own right.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2012, 01:41:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2012, 01:39:59 PM
So does Russia and China.

If what Russia's recent history is any indication we could cut our army down to five guys with slingshots and still be more than a match for them.

They proved a bit more capable in the second Chechen war, the Dagistan thing, and the invasion of Georgia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 01:59:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
You've done it before, although that was to colonize in your own right.

Link, plz.

citizen k