Chris Christie on His Weight: 'If It Were Easy, I'd Already Have It Fixed'

Started by garbon, July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-weight-were-easy-id-already-fixed-100118802--abc-news-politics.html

QuoteNew Jersey Gov. Chris Christie opened up about his weight problem in an interview with ABC News and stressed he is "trying" to lose weight, a battle he's waged for 30 years, but said he's never considered gastric bypass surgery because it's "too risky."

"I mean, see, listen, I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding among people regarding weight and regarding all those things that go into, to people being overweight," Christie said in an interview that will air Tuesday on "Nightline." "I think folks say - yeah, well he must just not be disciplined, you know, or he must not have willpower - that kind of thing. I guess the best analogy to make is some people drink too much. Some people take drugs. Some people eat too much. See, you can go live every day without drinking. You can live every day without taking drugs. You can't live every without eating."

Christie, who often jokes about his weight, but rarely opens up about the struggle, acknowledged that "it's a really difficult thing to deal with."

Christie said he works out with a trainer four days a week and is "trying to eat better," but said it's "really difficult like to eat better."

"With running around all the time and grabbing things on the go. But I'm trying to eat better," Christie said in the interview from the state capitol. "I'm working at it. But obviously, I'm not there. But I also have hope that I can get there."

Christie suffers from asthma and was admitted to the hospital last summer, but said besides that ailment he is healthy and sees the doctor regularly.

"My blood pressure's fine, my cholesterol is fine," Christie said. "I'm in good physical shape in terms of those indicators. But I have to lose weight and I get it."

Christie said there are two types of people who approach him about his weight: those who "really genuinely are concerned about me and want me to be around for a long time, and really care about me" and some of the people he sometimes encounters on his Twitter feed.

"There are some people who are just - you know, incredibly nasty and, and ugly and horrible," Christie said. "That's just the way it goes. I mean, you know, people have that kind of prejudice about them. I can't do anything about that."

Christie said he's "doing the best I can" and will "continue to."

"I've been living with it for a long time, and I'm going to try to get better," Christie said. "And if I can get better, that'll be great for me and for my family and for the public who likes me ... it's something that's not easy. If it were easy, I'd already have it fixed."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM
Quote"There are some people who are just - you know, incredibly nasty and, and ugly and horrible," Christie said.
:hmm:

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2012, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM
Quote"There are some people who are just - you know, incredibly nasty and, and ugly and horrible," Christie said.
:hmm:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine such horrific people exist in New Jersey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 09:36:16 AM
Yeah, it's hard to imagine such horrific people exist in New Jersey.

You know he practiced that speech while looking in the mirror. ;)
Experience bij!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Faeelin

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2012, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 03, 2012, 10:24:43 AM
Losing weight is easy. It's getting in shape that's hard.

Spoken like a young man.

I mean, I lost 120 lbs as a teenager. It's not easy, but it's a matter of eating right.

Berkut

I've always found that losing weight is not that hard.

Keeping it off is damn near impossible though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2012, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 03, 2012, 10:24:43 AM
Losing weight is easy. It's getting in shape that's hard.

Spoken like a young man.

He's right. Stop eating entirely, and you'll see how fast you lose weight. :P
And fasting is much easier than following a diet.

Of course it will wreak havoc on your health, but you will lose weight fast, I promise you. ;)

merithyn

Quote from: Faeelin on July 03, 2012, 11:08:16 AM

I mean, I lost 120 lbs as a teenager. It's not easy, but it's a matter of eating right.

Wait until you have 40 to lose after your 40th birthday. That 120 lbs will seem like a cakewalk. Then, eating right was enough. Past 40, it takes a lot more to lose a lot less.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 09:30:46 AM
His weight isn't the problem.  His personality is.

I love his personality. :wub:

Every time he abuses a reporter, I get an erection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

My uncle HATES that guy.  He's a school superintendent in Jersey and apparently Christie did something to antagonize him.  If you mention Christie around him he starts foaming at the mouth. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

According the NYT Sunday Magazine Fat Boy has memorized the lyrics to every Springsteen song ever recorded.

PDH

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2012, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 03, 2012, 11:08:16 AM

Wait until you have 40 to lose after your 40th birthday. That 120 lbs will seem like a cakewalk. Then, eating right was enough. Past 40, it takes a lot more to lose a lot less.

Bullshit, I lost 120 lbs starting at 40.  I am 46 now, and I have maintained that loss since.  It took the simple measure of eating less and getting up off my ass and exercising.  The biggest problem I have now is that I don't naturally exercise like I did at 20, but with effort I can raise my metabolism quite a bit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM