News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Countdown to the 5-4 decision announcement

Started by DGuller, June 28, 2012, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

This, from David Frum, is striking:
QuoteTantrum on the Court
by David Frum Jul 2, 2012 10:35 AM EDT
We no longer joke about "epistemic closure," but that does not mean the phenomenon has ceased to govern the conservative mind.

From Jan Crawford's July 1 behind-the-scenes report from the Supreme Court:
QuoteThe conservatives refused to join any aspect of [the Roberts majority] opinion, including sections with which they agreed, such as his analysis imposing limits on Congress' power under the Commerce Clause, the sources said.

Instead, the four joined forces and crafted a highly unusual, unsigned joint dissent. They deliberately ignored Roberts' decision, the sources said, as if they were no longer even willing to engage with him in debate.

Shoving fingers into the ears and chanting "nah, nah, I can't hear you" is a bizarre way to go about the judicial enterprise. Yet there is a comic as well as a depressing aspect to this latest expression of the conservative refusal to acknowledge unwelcome realities. The particular unwelcome reality that the Court minority refused to engage is a majority opinion of the United States Supreme Court—the highest law of the land. It doesn't go away just because you hold your breath until you turn blue.

As an old story goes:
QuoteThe New England transcendentalist Margaret Fuller was given to exclaiming, "I accept the universe!" The British writer Thomas Carlyle, upon hearing this, commented: "Gad! She'd better."
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Sometimes I get the impression that David Frum is trying to grab David Gergen's market niche.

stjaba

There's potential counter-leaks to the Jan Crawford story:

http://www.volokh.com/2012/07/03/so-now-we-have-supreme-court-leaks-disagreeing-with-supreme-court-leaks/

Regardless of the truth, the leaks are almost for sure coming from the conservative justices or their clerks. If the leaks were coming from the liberal justices, Jeff Toobin, and not conservative friendly outlets, would be reporting it.

Over at Salon.com, Lawprof Paul Campos writes:

QuoteI am told by a source within the Court with direct knowledge of the drafting process. . . that "most of the material in the first three quarters of the joint dissent was drafted in Chief Justice Roberts' chambers in April and May." Only the last portion of what eventually became the joint dissent was drafted without any participation by the Chief Justice.

This source insists that the claim that the joint dissent was drafted from scratch in June is flatly untrue. Furthermore, the source characterizes claims by Crawford's sources that "the fact that the joint dissent doesn't mention [sic] Roberts' majority . . . was a signal the conservatives no longer wished to engage in debate with him" as "pure propagandistic spin," meant to explain away the awkward fact that while the first 46 pages of the joint dissent never even mention Roberts' opinion for the Court (this is surely the first time in the Court's history that a dissent has gone on for 13,000 words before getting around to mentioning that it is, in fact, dissenting), the last 19 pages do so repeatedly.

I guess it's only a matter of time before Jan Crawford runs a story saying that her source insists that Campos's source is a "liar liar [with his] pants on fire." Pretty soon those of us who haven't received leaks are going to feel left out.

UPDATE: Here's another. John Fund at the National Review has a leaker, too – perhaps the same as person that leaked to the National Review's Ramesh Ponnuru, but who knows:

QuoteI've learned from my own sources that after voting to invalidate the mandate, the chief did express some skepticism about joining the four conservatives in throwing out the whole law. At the justices' conference, there was discussion about accepting the Obama administration's argument, which was that, if the individual mandate was removed, the provisions governing community rating and guaranteed issue of insurance would have to go too but that the rest of the law might stand. The chief justice was equivocal, though, in his views on that point.

Any other leaks so far today, or is that it?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 03:56:37 PM
Sometimes I get the impression that David Frum is trying to grab David Gergen's market niche.

Sometimes I get the impression that (Yi or something that Yi values), is trying to (some kind of pointed insult or veiled attack).

I'm tired so I've decided a new avenue of posting.  Instead of me coming up with something, I'm going to do Mad Libs.  So Yi, why don't you fill it out, then tell me how I'm wrong. 

Admiral Yi

For me to tell you how you're wrong I would first have to understand what the hell you're talking about.  That's assuming you are wrong.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 05:17:09 PM
For me to tell you how you're wrong I would first have to understand what the hell you're talking about.  That's assuming you are wrong.
:huh:

Seems pretty simple and correct.

Do you not know what mad libs are? Because that doesn't have anything to do with his point.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2012, 05:32:38 PM

Do you not know what mad libs are? Because that doesn't have anything to do with his point.
To be fair I didn't understand what Raz was on about at all.

Edit: Also I've seen conservatives making arch comments about Roberts spending his summer teaching in Europe, while Clarence Thomas is RVing across America.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 03, 2012, 05:36:53 PM
Edit: Also I've seen conservatives making arch comments about Roberts spending his summer teaching in Europe, while Clarence Thomas is RVing across America.

There may be something to that.

Line up Thomas and Kennedy on the one hand.
Kagan and Breyer on the other.

Which of those is Roberts more like, other than with respect to political right/left leanings>?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 03, 2012, 05:36:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2012, 05:32:38 PM

To be fair I didn't understand what Raz was on about at all.

It's an American thing.