News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, that's going to be a chunk of money down the drain, I guess. Wasn't it supposed to go into Early Access this month?

But I'd rather they pull the plug now than have another Cities: Skylines II.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

After two delays, they had indefinitely delayed it ahead of this announcement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Gotcha. Again, rather this than a disappointing release (again). I feel they're trying to build up good will again after a few not so great releases (though Foundry seems to be doing well in early access?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

It is better but it also shows continual mistakes on the part of Pdox.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2024, 07:03:25 AMI see Paradox has cancelled another experiment. They shutdown studio and closed troubled Life By You.

I'd thought they'd cancelled it already a while ago... but then just a few days ago I saw an article with updates about  great features it would offer. Surprised then to see this.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Once it went to indefinitely delayed, I think anything suggesting it would come out wad delusional.

Their weekly developmental videos were always a mix of pitiful and hilarious.

Josquius

The timing is weird though with promotional articles being pushed recently after silence for so long.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

American Truck Sim has released Nebraska, and they're working on Missouri/Arkansas.

Summary of their progress:

They posted a teaser for their next, unannounced expansion:

:hmm:

Based on their map progress it's probably one of the Dakotas or Iowa, but honestly - if I got this image on GeoGuessr I'd randomly place it somewhere in the Midwest. :P

(Posters on Steam have identified it as a rest stop on the I-80 in Iowa, with a wind turbine blade on display.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Just a little further and they'll be making maps with stuff!
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

You know video game players, if your fantasy is to drive across Nebraska that is a pretty cheap vacation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Soviet Republic: Workers & Resources has left Early Access. Apparently it's still very good:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/workers-resources-soviet-republic-review

Also, Elden Ring's DLC is coming out soon, over 2 years after the game came out. Consensus so far seems to be that it's very, very big, very hard, and also very, very good, adding tons and tons of contents. I guess it's time to tackle ER again. I dropped off after 50 hours during which I didn't make it even out of the starting area (which is like 15-20% of the game, at most) because I got bogged down exploring every nook and cranny of the map. :lol: (See also - BG3, which took me 250 hours to finish :D )

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree-review/
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I think I fall in the group who can see Soviet Republic is not for me (as reviewer describes). I don't want to devote that much time to that level of detail.

Josquius

I gave the workers and resources demo a go and it does seem great. But yeah, just so much learning, I can't do it.
It's the same as "A-train" , I actually bought one of those games as it seemed so perfect for me. But I failed.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 18, 2024, 11:21:50 PMAtari 50: Anniversary Celebration

So I have a 10 year old who has discovered my Steam Deck and now regularly asks if he can play with the "game console"

I figured he would go for Hades or Animal Well or Jedi Fallen Order o something like that with decent graphics.

Nope.  His favorite is to load up the Atari 50 collection and play Centipede, Lunar Lander and Asteroids.

It's not just jet fueled nostalgia - those old games really had something.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson