News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NATO Summit protest MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 20, 2012, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I suppose protesting a NATO summit is a perfectly rational act if your aim is to express your views on various issues to high ranking government officials of various Western Countries and the public at large.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2012, 12:14:31 PM
SHelf, your argument against the G8 is simply that it doesn't work.

I don't think tens of thousands of people protest the G8 meetings because they are pissed off that it is not effective enough.
You're right, but I don't think it does anything.  Which is different from it not working.  The UN High Commission on Human Rights doesn't work, but it does do stuff sometimes it's even useful and you can address how its actions succeed, or not, against its goals.

But G8 summits are a way of protesting the world's richest countries.  Convenient really.  That may be the best contribution they make.  I sympathise with anti-G8 feeling, that doesn't mean it's for the same reasons
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 11:38:35 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
Not really. His economic views are completely irrational. They just amount to knee jerk "Stick it to The Man!".

Oh, bullshit.  I don't want to "Stick it to the Man", I want to "Stick it to The Man, and Put Said Man's Head on a Stick London Bridge-Style As An Example To His Buddies".

My psuedo-Keynesian tendencies just happen to get overshadowed with my preference for an emphasis on regulation with a Gestapo flair, s'all.

Why you Free Market-types insist on trusting a methodology run by individuals whose basic premises are built upon and promoted by greed without consequence is rather disconcerting.  It is devoid of all ethos, and I have a problem with that.  Wall Street needs more Jesuits.

And you know where I stand on taxes.

That's nothing.  If I understand it correctly, the market types don't trust methodology.  Or at least ones that use mathematical models or statistics.  I believe they argue that testing their theories is essentially impossible.  It's sort of like creationism economics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Yes, on Wall Street.  I don't think speaking in tongues will impress the share holders.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2012, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2012, 11:00:00 AM
Not really. His economic views are completely irrational. They just amount to knee jerk "Stick it to The Man!".

Oh, bullshit.  I don't want to "Stick it to the Man", I want to "Stick it to The Man, and Put Said Man's Head on a Stick London Bridge-Style As An Example To His Buddies".

My psuedo-Keynesian tendencies just happen to get overshadowed with my preference for an emphasis on regulation with a Gestapo flair, s'all.

Why you Free Market-types insist on trusting a methodology run by individuals whose basic premises are built upon and promoted by greed without consequence is rather disconcerting.  It is devoid of all ethos, and I have a problem with that.  Wall Street needs more Jesuits.

And you know where I stand on taxes.
That's nothing.  If I understand it correctly, the market types don't trust methodology.  Or at least ones that use mathematical models or statistics.  I believe they argue that testing their theories is essentially impossible.  It's sort of like creationism economics.
The market types don't trust them entirely because they've set the system up to be panic-based.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2012, 12:28:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2012, 12:28:01 PM
Wall Street needs more Jesuits.

:bleeding:

Better then snake handlers.

Despiess' and the rest of the Languish GOPtards' idea of what Wall Street should be is a kindergarten with no teacher.  Let everybody just draw on the walls and shit everywhere, with no oversight.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2012, 01:03:14 PM
Yes, on Wall Street.  I don't think speaking in tongues will impress the share holders.

I doubt Jesuits' views on economics would take companies very far, either.

MadImmortalMan

There are times when the G8 absolutely does work. I'll give you one.

In the wake of the Japan quake and tsunami, the Japanese government had to roll out a massive rebuilding program which required them to roll the printers on yen. The yen would have crashed, but the G8 organized a massive attack on the yen with coordinated buying to prop it up in the international markets as an aid to Japan during the emergency and to keep the markets stable. Christine Lagarde made her name organizing the operation.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2012, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2012, 01:03:14 PM

I doubt Jesuits' views on economics would take companies very far, either.

They do well enough secretly ruling the world.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 21, 2012, 03:01:57 PM
There are times when the G8 absolutely does work. I'll give you one.

In the wake of the Japan quake and tsunami, the Japanese government had to roll out a massive rebuilding program which required them to roll the printers on yen. The yen would have crashed, but the G8 organized a massive attack on the yen with coordinated buying to prop it up in the international markets as an aid to Japan during the emergency and to keep the markets stable. Christine Lagarde made her name organizing the operation.
To which a hipster would reply 'What about Palestine?'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

NEXT!

GET SOME

Oooooooo nice booty in the pink, on the left.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Hee, the people in our Chicago office were 'working from home' today because of that shit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points