News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NATO Summit protest MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 20, 2012, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Neil on May 20, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
Aren't those the same helmets they wore when they had to crack some hippie heads in '68?

That might sound original if it hadn't already been said by Seedster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2012, 09:49:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 20, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
Aren't those the same helmets they wore when they had to crack some hippie heads in '68?

That might sound original if it hadn't already been said by Seedster.

Garbon, it's not polite to pick on the slow people. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on May 20, 2012, 08:24:13 PM
Soldiers do not have the right to give medals back. They represent recognition by the government on behalf of the people they represent. To hand that medal back is to spit in the eye of every American man, woman, and child.
Hmm...depends on the circumstance.

I'd say that Hugh Thompson throwing away his Distinguished Flying Cross was justified.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
I mean, look at that photo Citizen K posted;  WTF is a rainbow cocksucker flag doing there, and what's it got to do with NATO?

because that rainbowflag is also (originally?) a flag from the peace-movement (or rather the "capitulate to the enemies of civilization"-movement)

Syt

I feel reassured that the left wing has as many batshit loonatics as the right wing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on May 20, 2012, 08:04:44 PM
My guess would be that in part the summit provides visibility for their protests, even though NATO has little or nothing to do directly with their issues/causes.
Basically this.  Also you'll always get protests where political leaders are, half of it's about making the media hear you while the other half is making your presence known to the politician.  Generally I think that's a good thing.  If they hear the odd shout or what have you it disrupts their otherwise seamless and air conditioned drives from x summit to y airport, which is good.

NATO basically gives the opportunity to protest the world as it is, there'l be domestic countries and all sorts of obscure groups who are protesting, I don't know, the Maltese PM.  So you'll have unions, gaylords, general discontents and the odd Armenian protesting Erdogan.  That's the joy of a global city I suppose.  The ones you've got to worry about are the people who'll travel to some God-forsaken Baltic coast golf resort to try and protest the G8.

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 21, 2012, 12:19:51 AMbecause that rainbowflag is also (originally?) a flag from the peace-movement (or rather the "capitulate to the enemies of civilization"-movement)
In my experience that's a very, very European thing.  Here it only means the gays, in Italy it means the peace movement.

Edit: It was very disappointing actually.  I thought Europe was incredibly, demonstratively gay when I first went.  Then I slowly realised and it dawned on me that my bellicose fag self probably wasn't that welcome after all <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2012, 11:44:28 PM
Soldiers do not have the right to give medals back. They represent recognition by the government on behalf of the people they represent. To hand that medal back is to spit in the eye of every American man, woman, and child.

I'd say that Hugh Thompson throwing away his Distinguished Flying Cross was justified.

Nope, not even with him.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 21, 2012, 12:19:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
I mean, look at that photo Citizen K posted;  WTF is a rainbow cocksucker flag doing there, and what's it got to do with NATO?

because that rainbowflag is also (originally?) a flag from the peace-movement (or rather the "capitulate to the enemies of civilization"-movement)

when the hippies co-opted this

to mean peace I got pissed off. It means victory and it means killing lots and lots of germans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

It originally meant V for vikings.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on May 21, 2012, 04:19:35 AM
It originally meant V for vikings.

Da! Da! Da! Daaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!11111ononeoenoen
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Hang on a second, guys.  Aren't those Chicago cops in riot gear wearing the same light blue helmets they wore in 1968??

Also, is China still blocking internet searches for "Egypt"?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

That sad part is the anybody with a good reason to protest NATO will be drowned out by the crazy clowns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Camerus

Quote from: Jaron on May 21, 2012, 03:55:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2012, 11:44:28 PM

Nope, not even with him.

:lmfao:  Jaron's back

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 09:23:51 AM
That sad part is the anybody with a good reason to protest NATO will be drowned out by the crazy clowns.

What are the good reasons to protest NATO?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2012, 07:37:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2012, 07:02:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2012, 06:24:31 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many protesters there bitching about climate change, starvation and all other sorts of bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with a multinational military alliance based on collective security and mutual defense.   :huh:

You were singing a different tune when these clowns were camping out in lower Manhattan.  :lol:

That's different.  NATO > Wall Street.

My revolutionary brothers and sisters are barking up the wrong tree this weekend.

What you just don't get is that the motivation for both is exactly the same.

The people who engage in most of this crap do not differentiate between NATO and Wall Street. Or the E8, or the UN, or the Marines. Is it all one and the same, because 99% of them are not motivated by any rational ideology.

Just like you are not motivated by any rational ideology. You say NATO > Wall Street, some other random radinutbar says the G8 > Nato > Wall Street, or Wall Street > G8> Nato >UN. You can just roll the dice - none of it is driven by anything rational.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned