Guardian: Apple would still be highly profitable if production was in U.S.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2012, 04:26:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 03:47:46 PM
Turns out I was correct.  I provided counter examples and was ignored.
That's because you're on so many ignore lists.

They can't handle the truth!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 02:03:34 PMI said I was skeptical of the ability of government to solve a pretty specific problem - said problem being enormously complex, very susceptible to unintended consequences when governments start meessing around with it, and very poorly understood, especially by those who would be taked with crafting the solution.

To extend that particular positions to "the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." is just plain ridiculous. And certainly a fallacy.

What is more, it is an argument style that is simply beneath you. Trying to turn "Berkut is skeptical that government regulation and legislation can fix the problem os wealth inequality without doing more harm than good" with "Berkut apparently believes that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." is rather infantile. I never said anything of the kind. I think there are are incredible number of examples of effective government regulation, and to imply that I am some kind of....what, I don't even know what term would describe this fictional creature who believes something as ridiculous as "government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." in the general sense. Anarchist?

Okay, fair enough (other than the "infantile" and "simply beneath you" bits).

I didn't mean to say that you personally think that all "government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating," and I agree that my post could be read as that. So my bad, that wasn't really what I was getting at.

That said, like you say, you are "skeptical that government regulation and legislation can fix the problem of wealth inequality without doing more harm than good." You are, I'm pretty sure, not the only one who harbours such skepticism. At the same times, on all the other issues of the day, it's not uncommon to hear similar skepticism from someone or other. In aggregate, it does bring up a picture where the government's ability to solve any sort of problem is pretty much always questioned.

It's this general sense of the governments inability to do more good that harm - from "I want the government to be small enough I can drown it in and bath tub" to "the scariest words in the English language are 'I'm from the government, I'm here to help" to the inevitable comments that "they'll just fuck it up" when potential solutions involving government actions are discussed - that I was commenting on.

I'm not even saying you're wrong to be skeptical about the particular point you brought up, or that whoever may say "they'll just fuck it up" is wrong in that specific case; nonetheless all this individual skepticism on individual points still add up to an environment where government action is assumed to not work to a degree I find amazing.

So yeah, I'm not saying you don't think government action will never work on any issue ever. I was using your comment as a jumping off point to comment on the general skepticism I see towards government action.

Razgovory

Still it proves my point.  Though the fact that Berkut ignores me puts him down to Marty level.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2012, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 01:38:35 AM
That government can successfully regulate something?  Okay.  Take for example the Cuyahoga River.  It doesn't catch on fire anymore.  This is an improvement.  I doubt there are many people who claim that the Pure Food and Drug act did not improve food quality and the requirement that food and drugs had labels that helped consumers make better choices.

I am talking about the current state of our government right now.  That stuff happened a long time ago.  Heck the Pure Food and Drug act is from the Roosevelt administration...Teddy Roosevelt.

Those regulations are still on the books.  When they were passed is irrelevant since they still function.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 05:46:35 PM
Still it proves my point.  Though the fact that Berkut ignores me puts him down to Marty level.
No it doesn't.  It's very difficult for you to prove your point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2012, 05:51:23 PM

It's difficult for me to prove that Berkut ignores new information?  Since he put me on the ignore list that pretty much clinches it.  He is ignoring information.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
It's difficult for me to prove that Berkut ignores new information?  Since he put me on the ignore list that pretty much clinches it.  He is ignoring information.
Since the information you prevent is neither valuable or pertinent, it's hard to hold that against him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2012, 06:03:09 PM
It is always an error for anyone to do as Marti does.

Even for Marti.

Which puts him in a bit of a bind.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2012, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
Since the information you prevent is neither valuable or pertinent, it's hard to hold that against him.

Well, I had a higher opinion of Berkut then that.  Opinion: revised.

PDH

Quote from: Jacob on April 26, 2012, 06:08:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2012, 06:03:09 PM
It is always an error for anyone to do as Marti does.

Even for Marti.

Which puts him in a bit of a bind.

So he needs to figure out what he would do, then not do it.  But then he does it, and so he would have to not do it...and eventually the universe shrugs and says "fuck off" and all space-time ends.  No thank you, ignorant Marti helps keep everything running properly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Ignorant Marti sounds like a ineffectual and ultimately disappointing gay sex technique (move?) :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 26, 2012, 04:38:12 PM

They can't handle the truth!

I told him.  He didn't listen.  I said, "Raz, you're great, I like you, most people would like you, but you go at people till it crosses a weird line.  Yi and I get alone fine, Berkie and I get along fine; your problem is you don't let shit go."  Does he listen?  Of course not.  No one listens to me, especially when I'm right. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)