News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forbes on Kobe Beef (and Champagne)

Started by Jacob, April 19, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

What's the problem with extra virgin olive oil?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 12:17:56 PM
To claim hypocrisy on trademark vs. origin you have to overlook differences (possibly fundamental ones!) between the two.  Such as the fact that the origin people are trying to grab back something that has been in the public domain for a very long time.
You can be sensible about it though.  One key EU law case we had to learn involved 'cremant' which the EU designated as sparkling wine from France or Luxembourg that's not champagne.  A Spanish cava producer was able to challenge that, successfully, in part because that was a trademark they had and had used the trademark 'gran cremant' in Spain for around 80 years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 12:27:15 PM
What's the problem with extra virgin olive oil?
In the EU it's got a more strictly regulated meaning than in the US.  I think generally it has to be first press but there's other stuff too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 12:32:11 PM
In the EU it's got a more strictly regulated meaning than in the US.  I think generally it has to be first press but there's other stuff too.

You can't heat the olives before pressing.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 12:17:56 PMIt was a bit of a quibble.  IP means knowledge, which has virtually nothing to do with the place of origin rule.  People in California know everything the Champagnois know about making bubbly.

In my line of work, IP includes branded products.

QuoteTo claim hypocrisy on trademark vs. origin you have to overlook differences (possibly fundamental ones!) between the two.  Such as the fact that the origin people are trying to grab back something that has been in the public domain for a very long time.

I acknowledge there are some differences, but I still thing it is hypocritical not to acknowledge it when at the same time you keep delaying other forms of IP entering the public domain (a number of Disney creations, for example).

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 12:24:10 PMAre American producers allowed to use the same brand name? :huh:

They seem to use "Champagne" fairly frequently.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 12:35:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 12:17:56 PMIt was a bit of a quibble.  IP means knowledge, which has virtually nothing to do with the place of origin rule.  People in California know everything the Champagnois know about making bubbly.

In my line of work, IP includes branded products.

QuoteTo claim hypocrisy on trademark vs. origin you have to overlook differences (possibly fundamental ones!) between the two.  Such as the fact that the origin people are trying to grab back something that has been in the public domain for a very long time.

I acknowledge there are some differences, but I still thing it is hypocritical not to acknowledge it when at the same time you keep delaying other forms of IP entering the public domain (a number of Disney creations, for example).

There are huge differences IMO.  I'd say a proprietary brand name would qualify as IP.  Something that is added to the label as a descriptor or denotes that it originates from a particular area, not so much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 12:32:11 PM

You can't heat the olives before pressing.

Are there places where you can buy EVOO that is not cold-pressed?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2012, 12:40:33 PM
There are huge differences IMO.  I'd say a proprietary brand name would qualify as IP.  Something that is added to the label as a descriptor or denotes that it originates from a particular area, not so much.

Champagne is a proprietary brand name. It belongs to the wine producers of the Champagne region, and it applies to the sparkling wine they produce.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 12:35:32 PM

And I see differences and think's it not hypocritical.  So there.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 12:42:41 PMAre there places where you can buy EVOO that is not cold-pressed?

Apparently the US?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 12:43:35 PMAnd I see differences and think's it not hypocritical.  So there.

There indeed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 12:42:41 PM
Are there places where you can buy EVOO that is not cold-pressed?

First I've ever heard about it.  Track down the poster who said they don't buy Italian olive oil.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 11:25:41 AM
The very fact that producers are fighting to use term like champaign or Kobe beef means these terms have value and should be protected.

That doesn't follow. The fact that something has value doesn't mean it *should* be treated as a species of property, and belong to someone. Particularly where there is no issue of anyone "earning" that value.

In most cases of IP, the argument is that we ought to give IP rights to protect someone's work - in writing a song, or inventing a new process. Nobody "worked" to be born in France. Being a French wine or cheese maker is no greater effort than being a wine or cheese maker elsewhere. Certainly France is heir to a great tradition of wine and cheese making, but being heir to a tradition isn't the same as creating new value.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 11:25:29 AM
One interesting recent trend in wine - again I'm generally ignorant - is that countries like Argentina and Australia are signing up with deals with the EU where they respect names like Champagne and other wines.  In large part this is because there are now Argentine and Australian wine-making brands and traditions that they want to protect and to have recognised in Europe.  I believe there's similar moves in the US by California and other states' vineyards who don't like their 'brand' being used by others.

Edit:  So I think on the wine the New World wines may have disliked this while they were sort-of insurgent wines.  Now they're established in their own right they see the attraction.

Naturally, everyone likes having something that they have that others place value on declared a species of property that they own.  :lol:

The issue is whether that is a good idea or not.

I'm kinda surprised that the lefty types here seem most outspoken about creating and protecting new property rights, thus commodifying things which had not previously been commodified.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius