News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SimCity 5

Started by Tonitrus, March 08, 2012, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Good point. I was wondering what could be so amazing they would need server side calculation- its not that they need that at all, just keeps the pirates at bay.

So...alternatives on the horizon for those who want a new city builder?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 06, 2013, 01:05:17 AM
Good point. I was wondering what could be so amazing they would need server side calculation- its not that they need that at all, just keeps the pirates at bay.

even after I said "fuck you" to SimCity, I still don't blame them for going all DRM.

Yes, they want to stop you from pirating their game.  No, I don't blame them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Anyways, the DRM I could live with (I did with Diablo 3 as well). That they're changing to a Sims3 business model (expansions & microtransactions) - not a big fan, but depends on what they actually add. (Can players with different content actually play together?)

But the city sizes, and the extreme focus on "you have to play together to have fun" is where it dies for me, because with a SimCity game I don't want to be dependent on other players' goodwill/involvement to have fun. As an optional feature it could be cool to play with Languishites. But as the main focus of the game - no thanks. You'd think that after the SimCity Societies disaster and the failed multiplayer focus of Cities XL the designers would have taken note what the city builder demographic wants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2013, 01:08:38 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 06, 2013, 01:05:17 AM

even after I said "fuck you" to SimCity, I still don't blame them for going all DRM.

Yes, they want to stop you from pirating their game.  No, I don't blame them.
When this is done by making things awkward for paying customers however I totally blame them cheer the pirates on.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2013, 01:14:10 AM
But the city sizes, and the extreme focus on "you have to play together to have fun" is where it dies for me, because with a SimCity game I don't want to be dependent on other players' goodwill/involvement to have fun. As an optional feature it could be cool to play with Languishites. But as the main focus of the game - no thanks. You'd think that after the SimCity Societies disaster and the failed multiplayer focus of Cities XL the designers would have taken note what the city builder demographic wants.
As I've understood it you can create and control all the cities in a region yourself.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Yes, but let's say you want to build in a region with three cities. One is going to be manufacturing, one will be education, one will be commerce.

To get the synergy effects between the cities you have to keep switching between them. "Oh, I need more education for my workers." [Switch to college town and build stuff, then return to first city.] "I need more shops!" [Switch to third city, build up more commerce, then return to first city - or second if you now need more education again.]

It's a hassle. And if you're playing with several people at the same time (as seems to be the designers' intentions) you can drop each other notes and adjust on the fly to the regional needs. Again, an interesting concept, but focused too much on that IMO.

Speaking of regions. There seem to be 16 or so maps at the moment, and there's no terraforming of any kind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Wow, that's devastating.  A feature that I had on the original SimCity almost 25 years ago.

And yeah, Origin is the worst online store there is.  Requiring it is a sure sign that I won't be buying a particular game for the PC.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2013, 01:14:10 AM
Anyways, the DRM I could live with (I did with Diablo 3 as well). That they're changing to a Sims3 business model (expansions & microtransactions) - not a big fan, but depends on what they actually add. (Can players with different content actually play together?)

What the city builder demographic wants isn't particularily relevant to the devs.  They know they're going to get some sales based on the name alone, and they know that the microtransactions will make them profitable.  What the executives have mandated is very important.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2013, 08:41:24 AM
Wow, that's devastating.  A feature that I had on the original SimCity almost 25 years ago.

No kidding, right?  Save a game, trash the city, and then reload it again?  How incredibly 1990.

garbon

Playing SimAnything (minus I guess The Sims) is so 90s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Arvoreen

All this talk made me do 2 things

1) Swear to never buy the new game
2) Re-install my copy of SimCity 4 deluxe! :D

Grey Fox

It's not DRM in the traditional sense.

It's there to promote microtransactions & offer a platform akin to facebook.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Arvoreen on March 06, 2013, 12:29:37 PM
All this talk made me do 2 things

1) Swear to never buy the new game
2) Re-install my copy of SimCity 4 deluxe! :D

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

@gf That might be the way they spin and sell it, but it absolutely is DRM.

You have to log in and get permission to play a game.you.paid for.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2013, 12:47:51 PM
It's not DRM in the traditional sense.

It's there to promote microtransactions & offer a platform akin to facebook.

I think then they are making a mistake in mixing up their audiences. I'm not sure the casual facebook gamer is looking to pay for a full box game and its interface.