News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on October 03, 2012, 07:50:11 AM
And the giants did, cards are in the playoffs again.

Now to beat the hated braves.

:punk:

If that happens I may be able to get a deal on playoff tickets from a distraught Braves fan.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2012, 09:13:58 AM
Besides the Mets don't have to win to be entertaining.  And historically the amount of cocaine consumption entailed in a winning Mets season is too excessive for safety's sake.

The things I never knew about Tom Seaver.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

O's are down, and it looks like Boston's mailed it in.

Fucking Yankees win another fucking pennant they don't deserve.  :mad:

Valmy

Yeah the Red Sox are thinking about their Thursday morning Tee Times.  Fuck.

Now the O's are playing for homefield on Friday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Interesting angle from Jim Caple at ESPN.

QuoteOrioles fans should root for the Yankees to win tonight. Let me explain.

Far too much has been made about the horrors of a one-game playoff between wild-card teams. While it may sound bad to have a 162-game season come down to one game, it really isn't as awful as imagined. That's because unless you are significantly better than the other team or have a deeper starting rotation -- which probably wouldn't be the case -- then your chances of winning a playoff are roughly the same whether it is one game, three games, five games, seven games or 25 games. One team will win, one team will lose. Having the outcome stretch out over five days rather than three hours might be more enjoyable for fans but it doesn't alter a team's chances of advancing.

The key, however, is avoiding playing more games than necessary. And that is why it could be to Baltimore's advantage to finish second.

Look at it this way. If the Yankees win or Baltimore loses tonight, the Orioles have Thursday off to prepare and rest for Friday's crucial playoff. But a Yankees loss and Orioles win tonight sets up for a series of tiring, pressure-filled games for Baltimore.

Winding up tied for first place with the Yankees would require the Orioles to play a game Thursday to settle that tie. If they win it, great. They would be the AL East champions and they get Friday off before beginning a Division Series. But if they lose, they would have to play another game Friday.

That would be three games in three days against three teams (and eight consecutive days counting the regular season). That would definitely affect the bullpen, which would hinder their chances against opponents who would be able to rest their pitchers.

Would I want a 162-game season to boil down to a one-game wild card playoff? No. But I'm either going to lose it or win it, the same as if it were a multiple-game series. So what I definitely WOULD want is to have my team rested as much as possible before playing that potential season-ending game.

Which is why Baltimore fans should hope the Yankees win tonight. Yes, it would eliminate a division title. But it would also eliminate a potentially ugly series of games that would hurt the Orioles' postseason chances more than a wild-card finish would.

Valmy

Eh I wanted a championship.  Now we have to hope the Orioles win the American League and that is alot to ask.  But, you know, why the Buck not?

CountDeMoney

I wanted the AL Division title as well, but the long game is more important here.

Valmy

Well its over.  They are GTT.

At least the Rangers are slumping.

CountDeMoney

Quote1st   E Longoria homered to left (385 feet)   0   1
4th   E Longoria homered to left (415 feet)   0   2
6th   E Longoria homered to center (421 feet)   0   4

Ugh.

Eddie Teach

Wow. And she's such a tiny woman too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2012, 10:34:00 PM

What about my distant cousin.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on October 03, 2012, 10:36:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2012, 10:34:00 PM

What about my distant cousin.

It's time for introductions, my friend.

katmai

I know how you treat your women, like i'm gonna introduce family to you! :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Reds need to find some offense or they're tucked.  Sure their pitching is great right now but with run production like this they'll get swept in the divisional series like they did 2 years ago.

Anyway the Cards need to find a way to beat Atlanta.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall