News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I went to see my 5-year old nephew's baseball "game" yesterday.  I can objectively say he was the best player on the field, and he ought to be given how much he forces himself to practice (I just hope he doesn't get burnt out on it before he gets to high school).

It was a game in the sense that there were two teams, wore uniforms, and played a couple innings.  But they didn't keep score or keep track of balls, strikes, or outs.  I thought the notion was absurd until I realized the "game" was more like practice.  They rotated the kids into different positions in the field and in each of the two innings each kid got to bat once, either from the tee or a pitch depending on their skill level.  I think it was about as much as you could do with 5-6 year olds, so I guess I can't bitch too much about the no scoring thing.

Anyway, what seemed kinda weird to me was the large numbers of girls on each team.  When I played tee-ball we had zero girls.  At the pee-wee and Little League levels there was precisely one girl in the whole league.  Maybe it's a generational thing (or possibly a local thing given how huge baseball is in the Cincy area-- most women seem to know the game pretty well), but it just seems weird to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: katmai on May 10, 2012, 11:05:40 PM
Arizona high-school baseball team forfeits rather than face a girl

:lol:

What bothers me about this is if they don't believe in playing against girls, they shouldn't be in a league that allows girls to play.  Then there wouldn't be problems like this.

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on May 10, 2012, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
QuoteHe's gone at least 6.2 innings in all five of his starts, allowing 1, 2, 0, 0, and 1 earned runs ... and has zero wins to show for it.

No shit.  Reason #46 why I'm in last place in my fantasy league.

You should have seen this coming. He pitches for the cubs. If he ever starts getting run support, he is going to blow out a ligament.

Kerry Wood is retiring. It is too bad he had the injuries. He was looked like he was going to be an all time great at the start of his career.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

I don't understand the Orioles. :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 07:07:14 AM
I don't understand the Orioles. :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Don't worry, they'll break down in June at latest. Just like the Bucs last year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 07:07:14 AM

It is a fluke.  They have middling ERA and hitting you cannot keep up this clip with that.  Though when they do hit they tend to hit big which I guess is one encouraging stat.

They did collapse against Boston last night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 08:02:24 AM
They did collapse against Boston last night.

Still in 1st, though.

They vex me.  I am terribly vexed.

Valmy

Have you been to a game yet?  How is the vibe?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 08:36:37 AM
Have you been to a game yet?  How is the vibe?

Hell no, I haven't gone.

re the vibe around town:  people are more concerned about Flacco's and Rice's contracts, T-Sizzle's surgery, and how the draft picks will look in mandatory OTAs.

If the Orioles are winning, nobody's noticing.  And if they are, they're waiting for the inevitable collapse.  14 years of Robert Irsay's Peter Angelos' bullshit ownership will do that to a town.

Valmy

So they basically feel exactly the same as I do about it.

Still I almost ran my car off the road when the local radio guys said 'Texas loses again so now the Baltimore Orioles have the best record in the American League'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 08:59:48 AM
So they basically feel exactly the same as I do about it.

Still I almost ran my car off the road when the local radio guys said 'Texas loses again so now the Baltimore Orioles have the best record in the American League'

Yeah, I think everybody here is simply waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And paying attention to the Nationals and that dickhead Bryce Harper is more fun, anyway.