News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 11:07:33 PM
  I don't think Romney is incompetent.  Or Obama for that matter.

They are incompetent in regard to their ability to effect change and tackle the difficult issues that confront the US.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:52:17 PM
With our political crop? Just models of incompetency across the board, not ultimate evils.
It's always easy to just blame idiot politicians, but that's also almost always vapid.  The real culprits are the people who whipped a large proportion of the population into utter frenzy, and made the country ungovernable.  Democracy only works if the losers still recognize the legitimacy of the winners.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 10:45:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:44:40 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 10:33:33 PM
Garbon is right.  Clearly, the Republicans would be far more open to Barack Obama if, like Sarah Palin, his daughter was knocked up out of wedlock by a rough, burly, muscular High School graduate. 

It is juvenile to paint your political opponents as the ultimates in idiocy and hatred.

Well then tell the GOP to stop.  You are a registered member now, aren't you?
Sarah Palin flunked out of Northern Idaho while pursuing a degree in Sports Journalism.  I don't have a whole lot of feelings for her other than contempt.    I also think your attempted defense of prejudice against the President is, at the very least, strange.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Phillip V

No matter how you spin it, tonight was Romney's worst-case scenario: Santorum (not Gingrich or Romney) won both Alabama and Mississippi.

- Close, but failing to eke out a win, Romney looked weak due to aggressive spending and confidence as the "inevitable nominee" plus huge establishment support in the South. He even finished third behind Gingrich.
- Gingrich did not get his next "comeback". The likelihood increases that he will drop out and/or the base rallies around Santorum.
- Santorum outperformed polls and thus had "surprise" wins that will give him big momentum going into this week's Missouri caucus and next week's Illinois primary. He also fended off Gingrich (permanently?) from taking the "Not-Romney" title.

I expect Santorum will get a 5-10 point bump in national GOP polls, giving him the lead, while Romney stagnates at 30%-35% support. The establishment will panic even more, and we will see what happens to secure the "must-win" for Romney in Illinois next week. The possibility exists that the Republican base may decide to coalesce around Santorum and give him the plurality to start dealing decisive wins against Romney.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 11:34:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 10:45:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2012, 10:44:40 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2012, 10:33:33 PM
Garbon is right.  Clearly, the Republicans would be far more open to Barack Obama if, like Sarah Palin, his daughter was knocked up out of wedlock by a rough, burly, muscular High School graduate. 

It is juvenile to paint your political opponents as the ultimates in idiocy and hatred.

Well then tell the GOP to stop.  You are a registered member now, aren't you?
Sarah Palin flunked out of Northern Idaho while pursuing a degree in Sports Journalism.  I don't have a whole lot of feelings for her other than contempt.    I also think your attempted defense of prejudice against the President is, at the very least, strange.

I didn't think I was defending it. :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on March 13, 2012, 11:15:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2012, 11:07:33 PM
  I don't think Romney is incompetent.  Or Obama for that matter.

They are incompetent in regard to their ability to effect change and tackle the difficult issues that confront the US.

What exactly would you like them to do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on March 14, 2012, 12:23:52 AM
No matter how you spin it, tonight was Romney's worst-case scenario: Santorum (not Gingrich or Romney) won both Alabama and Mississippi.

- Close, but failing to eke out a win, Romney looked weak due to aggressive spending and confidence as the "inevitable nominee" plus huge establishment support in the South. He even finished third behind Gingrich.
- Gingrich did not get his next "comeback". The likelihood increases that he will drop out and/or the base rallies around Santorum.
- Santorum outperformed polls and thus had "surprise" wins that will give him big momentum going into this week's Missouri caucus and next week's Illinois primary. He also fended off Gingrich (permanently?) from taking the "Not-Romney" title.

I expect Santorum will get a 5-10 point bump in national GOP polls, giving him the lead, while Romney stagnates at 30%-35% support. The establishment will panic even more, and we will see what happens to secure the "must-win" for Romney in Illinois next week. The possibility exists that the Republican base may decide to coalesce around Santorum and give him the plurality to start dealing decisive wins against Romney.

I find the idea of Santorum presidency unpleasant to think about.  Romney would do a decent job at it, I imagine.  Gingrich would be hilariously bad.  He's be tempting to elect just to see what kind of crazy bullshit would happen.  We might be at war with Briton and attempting to colonize Antarctica by 2016.

Phillip V

Romney Wins in American Samoa

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/03/13/world/AP-US-American-Samoa-Caucus.html

QuoteMitt Romney won the Republican caucus in American Samoa, picking up all nine delegates.

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on March 14, 2012, 12:23:52 AM

I hope Santorum gets nominated - this will ensure four more years of Obama.

Phillip V

Romney wins Hawaii Caucuses by at least 20 points.

Sheilbh

Republicans who thought electability was the most important issue went heavily for Santorum last night, similar happened for Gingrich in SC.  Romney's planning to change his first name to 'Not' in a desperate attempt to wrap the primaries up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2012, 03:56:04 AM
Republicans who thought electability was the most important issue went heavily for Santorum last night, similar happened for Gingrich in SC.  Romney's planning to change his first name to 'Not' in a desperate attempt to wrap the primaries up.
Clearly the people being polled don't know what the term 'electability' means, then. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Is it me, or does Mitt Romney more and more remind anybody else of Herb Tarlek?

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2012, 05:46:31 AM
Is it me, or does Mitt Romney more and more remind anybody else of Herb Tarlek?
I hope he throws Santorum out of a helicopter thinking he can fly. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I think it is Siege-factor.  Remember, he didn't believe in the moon landings until Mythbusters debunked the "moonlandings were faked" crowd.  If those two did an episode on evolution or who is a Christian many of the idiots would believe.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM