News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 04:44:53 PM
Sorta amazing how he went hard right after 9/11.  Was always a bit centrist with a common sensical approach, but 9/11 really put the zap on his head.  Still enjoyable, though.
Yeah, I think his laid back approach was related to the relative safety of the US.  When foreign assholes are suddenly attacking American soil (as opposed to blowing up Siegebreakers in Beirut), and a town that he lived and worked in for years, I think it changed his worldview a bit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2012, 05:15:23 PM
If anything he was a bit on the left in the 80s.  He certainly wasn't too fond of Ronnie Ray-gun.
A lot of the detente kids weren't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2012, 05:15:23 PM

If anything he was a bit on the left in the 80s.  He certainly wasn't too fond of Ronnie Ray-gun.

Never know. Maybe he was just in the closet about it to help his career.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

So, for the unwashed foreigners here in Europe:

How likely is it that Santorum:
- becomes the Republican candidate?
- becomes High Priest President of the U.S.?

Is he just a nutjob, or a nutjob with serious popular backing?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2012, 01:04:13 AM

There
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

My prediction is that Santorum will make a strong showing but will not receive the Republican nomination. This will be appropriately scary for Americans whose heads are not firmly implanted in their assholes, because it will indicate that social conservatism of the truly theocratic variety has increased in popularity over the last few years. Santorum's politics are a politics of hate, which isn't necessarily distressing - what is distressing, however, is that such a large number of people just don't get it.

I think it will be a close-ish race between Obama and Romney, but Obama will get another term in the end.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

I'd think it just means he isn't Romney.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2012, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 03:55:45 PM
This is the end result in believing that government doesn't require any special skills.  That all problems can be solved through "common sense", folk wisdom, and gut instinct.

Given the job career politicians have done, it's not hard to see why people start out with that belief.

Judging other people's competency in a field you don't actually understand is common failing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

the bane of modern democracy is the professional politican. It is not about lacking common sense, or common sense being enough to run the tehnical side of a ministry, for example. It is about this circle being more and more a detached aristocracy. An aristocracy with relatively easy entry requirements compared to past aristocracies, granted, but still.

Razgovory

I think you may be biased because all of your politicians are also Hungarians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2012, 02:53:34 AM
the bane of modern democracy is the professional politican. It is not about lacking common sense, or common sense being enough to run the tehnical side of a ministry, for example. It is about this circle being more and more a detached aristocracy. An aristocracy with relatively easy entry requirements compared to past aristocracies, granted, but still.
I sort-of agree.  I wouldn't mind loads of professional politicians but they're not even very good at their jobs. 

The strange thing we have right now is that the leadership of all three parties are from incredibly similar backgrounds.  But the Commons itself is as diverse as it's ever been and there's certainly not a majority of career politicians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 28, 2012, 03:02:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 02:58:08 AM
I think you may be biased because all of your politicians are also Hungarians.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/congressional_job_approval-903.html

It's away "congress", not the individual congressmen.  Sort of like how someone might say "people are stupid", but not think they themselves are stupid despite being a person.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2012, 01:04:13 AM

He has backing, but not enough.  Besides, his star is already fading.  Also I think that Paul will throw his delegates behind Romney.  Don't know what Gingrich will do.  He doesn't always act rationally.

Ed Anger

QuoteFormer Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has a small lead over rival Mitt Romney in the latest poll of likely Republican primary voters in Ohio.

Conducted by Quinnipiac University, the poll found Santorum leads the former Massachusetts governor 36 percent to 29 percent, though almost half of respondents said they could still change their mind ahead of the Buckeye state primary to be held in a little more than a week's time.

Mitt's folk here seem...disorganized. Haven't seen a single Romney sign. Seen plenty of the black Santorum ones though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive