News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Depends what you mean by culture.  The bits of France I've been to all feel very distinct.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2011, 01:18:34 PM
Nobody said anything about "race".  France made a great effort to destroy variant cultures in it's borders.  They were largely successful.

Not really, no.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on December 26, 2011, 06:50:50 PM
Nobody said anything about "race".  France made a great effort to destroy variant cultures in it's borders.  They were largely successful.

Not really, no.

Oh, how many native speakers of Breton are there?  How many were there a hundred years ago?  What percentage of the Brittany spoke French prior to the French Revolution.  And what is that percent now?  Actually, what is the percent of population of what is now Metropolitan France spoke French prior to the French Revolution?  I've seen the number of around 50% thrown around.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2011, 07:57:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 26, 2011, 06:50:50 PM

Not really, no.

Oh, how many native speakers of Breton are there?  How many were there a hundred years ago?  What percentage of the Brittany spoke French prior to the French Revolution.  And what is that percent now?  Actually, what is the percent of population of what is now Metropolitan France spoke French prior to the French Revolution?  I've seen the number of around 50% thrown around.

Let me repeat, since you chose to argue something I didn't say:

Homogenize language and some core values. Not culture or "race".

Razgovory

I never said race, but I think destroying someone's language is a huge part of destroying someone's culture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 01:28:46 PM
I think it's okay.

Me too, though it does sound kind of odd coming from a Francophone living in Quebec.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

citizen k

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 06:21:41 AM

Yeah, language and core values are not cultural.

Zoupa

Quote from: citizen k on December 27, 2011, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 06:21:41 AM

Yeah, language and core values are not cultural.

They weren't real languages, just some dialects and patois. :frog:

Plus we let them keep their folkloric shit. Good for tourism.

Zoupa

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 27, 2011, 01:33:41 PM
I think it's okay.

Me too, though it does sound kind of odd coming from a Francophone living in Quebec.

Canada doesn't have a mission civilisatrice.

Also, french is superioir to english in every way imaginable.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:51:27 PM
I'm not sure I agree.  The French language is saddled with the people who speak it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:51:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 27, 2011, 01:33:41 PM
I think it's okay.

Canada doesn't have a mission civilisatrice.

Un plus petit vocabulaire?  L'inutilite de genre en francais?

Also, I forget what it is, but isn't there a whole tense that isn't available in French?  Present progressive, je pense?

I mean, it's a fine language.  Silver medal. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on December 24, 2011, 09:15:04 PM
France is not an ethnically based state, both in theory and in practice. The struggles with immigration have a lot more to do with piss-poor urban planning, high unemployement and religious issues in the public sphere. France's mission civilisatrice is universal after all  :sleep:

Not counting the 15% of racist tards that are present in every western country.

If France is not an ethnically based state then no state is ethnically based.  The French ethnic group was formed by the merger of Gauls with Franks and Burgundians.  French national identity started to emerge during the 100 Years War.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 03:16:32 PM
Also, I forget what it is, but isn't there a whole tense that isn't available in French?  Present progressive, je pense?

WTF does an Indian do when he's speaking French? :hmm:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue