And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: PDH on December 24, 2011, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 24, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
Anyway - Ron does seem to be getting a lot of heat on this issue now.

I blame the inner-city criminal blacks and the perfidious jews.

:D

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on December 24, 2011, 09:15:04 PM

France is not an ethnically based state, both in theory and in practice. The struggles with immigration have a lot more to do with piss-poor urban planning, high unemployement and religious issues in the public sphere. France's mission civilisatrice is universal after all  :sleep:

Not counting the 15% of racist tards that are present in every western country.

Really?  I would have thought that France is a primary example of a Nation State.  France has sought to homogenize their population for a long time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 23, 2011, 01:14:08 PM
Yep, typical Grumbler bs. If you point out he is wrong he does one of two things.  He accuses you of a gotcha style - which ironically is his speciality over the last couple years or he falls back on semantics to argue he said no such thing and that actually he said the opposite.

So, now you are shifting away from the "semantic u-turn" accusation (which you couldn't back when challenged on it) to claiming I use the "gotcha" style of argumentation?

I challenge you to find examples of that, as well.  Are you going to weasel out of every challenge I make, or are you going to back this one with some examples (as I did when I pointed out Raz's "gotcha" style)?

Nothing from novels, please.  That doesn't fly here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Careful, CC.  If you prove him wrong he may classify you as a "Gotcha Debater" and start ignoring you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

szmik

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2011, 01:35:35 PM
Yep, typical Grumbler bs. If you point out he is wrong he does one of two things.  He accuses you of a gotcha style - which ironically is his speciality over the last couple years or he falls back on semantics to argue he said no such thing and that actually he said the opposite.

So, now you are shifting away from the "semantic u-turn" accusation (which you couldn't back when challenged on it) to claiming I use the "gotcha" style of argumentation?

I challenge you to find examples of that, as well.  Are you going to weasel out of every challenge I make, or are you going to back this one with some examples (as I did when I pointed out Raz's "gotcha" style)?

what was this obscure boat called again? Petrucca or something? I don't remember, but your argument there was is hilarious example :lol:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 11:11:31 AM
Patriotic feelings need not be based on shared ethnicity. Shared allegiance to a political system and/or its symbols will suffice - look at the US.
I also fail to see where I said they MUST be based on ethnicity, just in the Old World they are as it stands right now.  So my point was, given  that fact, it is hard to judge them too harshly for struggling with the immigration issue more than we have.  We do not have the burden of an ethnically based state.

France is not an ethnically based state, both in theory and in practice. The struggles with immigration have a lot more to do with piss-poor urban planning, high unemployement and religious issues in the public sphere. France's mission civilisatrice is universal after all  :sleep:

Germany, which Valmy used as an example earlier, also shows quite well how the "ethnic state" concept is quite blurred and meaningless, and I am not just talking about immigrants. The "German nation" has been ruled by a single German state for less than 100 years in total, so it is hardly an established concept/entity, and the fact that countries like Austria remain out of it (with Austrians being, arguably, more closely related to Bavarians, culture-and-ethnicity-wise, than Bavarians are to Westfalians) shows that it hardly is a country that could lay a claim of being one for all German people, except perhaps only symbolically.

Neil

Question:  Why is Martinus so fucking stupid?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: szmik on December 25, 2011, 06:13:28 PM
what was this obscure boat called again? Petrucca or something? I don't remember, but your argument there was is hilarious example :lol:

They were pinnaces, or dispatch boats.  Some guy writing a wikipedia article used some obscure French (iirc) word for them, but I don't remember what it was.

Not sure what was hilarious about my argument that it wasn't impossible for the Armada to have succeeded (which I was debating with Malthus, and his arguments were based on a wikipedia article). Maybe you can enlighten me?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on December 25, 2011, 07:23:38 PM

Lack of education, I am guessing.  He is partially correct on the main point (that the concept of the ethnic state is very blurry at best) but his idea that it is meaningless, or that the tensions between the concepts of nations and states hasn't been a major source of conflict in European history, is mind-boggling.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 25, 2011, 07:23:38 PM

I suspect it's partially because he tries to present himself as an enlightened intellectual.  The yawning gap between what he tries to be and what he actually is is so huge it creates an impression of utter stupidity.  Sadly Marty is also a Narcissistic egotist so I don't think any of what what we say really sinks in.  I suspect he promptly forgets every time he makes a fool of himself as a defense mechanism.

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2011, 01:35:35 PM

Truely a Languish classic. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

szmik

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2011, 09:28:51 PM

They were pinnaces, or dispatch boats.  Some guy writing a wikipedia article used some obscure French (iirc) word for them, but I don't remember what it was.

Not sure what was hilarious about my argument that it wasn't impossible for the Armada to have succeeded (which I was debating with Malthus, and his arguments were based on a wikipedia article). Maybe you can enlighten me?
Go back to that discussion maybe and read it cold?

Problem is you're an argument black hole. :)

Enlightening you is simply pointless, it seems you are unable to ever admit your wrong position. I know better ways to waste my time. :sleep:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

grumbler

Quote from: szmik on December 26, 2011, 05:43:46 AM
Problem is you're an argument black hole. :)

Enlightening you is simply pointless, it seems you are unable to ever admit your wrong position. I know better ways to waste my time. :sleep:

:lol:  Okay.  So long as your arguments are pure ad hominem, I won't bother taking them seriously.  ;)

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 12:58:21 AM

Really?  I would have thought that France is a primary example of a Nation State.  France has sought to homogenize their population for a long time.

Homogenize language and some core values. Not culture or "race".

Razgovory

Nobody said anything about "race".  France made a great effort to destroy variant cultures in it's borders.  They were largely successful.