Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 22, 2011, 04:55:06 PM
Maybe they got tired of the political bullshit. Maybe they got tired of YOU.
Yeah, Raz's problem is that he takes too long to corner people in arguments.  By the time he finally does, the people he argues with are exactly at a point when they get tired of him.

Eddie Teach

Well, Raz does tend to beat arguments to death, but then so does Grumbler so I don't think fatigue is an issue here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 22, 2011, 06:22:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 22, 2011, 04:55:06 PM
Maybe they got tired of the political bullshit. Maybe they got tired of YOU.
Yeah, Raz's problem is that he takes too long to corner people in arguments.  By the time he finally does, the people he argues with are exactly at a point when they get tired of him.

I'm not a quick thinker.  I suppose it is possible that people become embarrassed by being cornered by nitwit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2011, 06:28:19 PM
Well, Raz does tend to beat arguments to death, but then so does Grumbler so I don't think fatigue is an issue here.

Raz has a long memory so it is more difficult for Grumbler to play his semantic u-turns when it is clear he is wrong.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 22, 2011, 07:40:18 PM
Raz has a long memory so it is more difficult for Grumbler to play his semantic u-turns when it is clear he is wrong.
:lmfao:

Okay, Mr "this novel is history" man.  Let's see a "semantic u-turn" on my part.  Shouldn't be hard to find, if that is a common tactic of mine.

I have given up responding to Raz because he is purely a "gotcha" debater, and doesn't read what it is he thinks he is being "gotcha" about.  It's a waste of time.  He doesn't argue positions, just snippets. Paul claims that the CIA has staged a "coup" in warfighting because it is the one flying drones and firing missiles, not the US military, and Raz claims that Ron Paul thinks the CIA has overthrown the US government.  Paul may be a wacko, but Raz isn't demonstrating that; he is instead demonstrating that he doesn't really care what Ron Paul says or thinks, just what Raz can play "gotcha" with.  It is pointless and silly, and I invite him to ignore me as much as I ignore him (and his crony Fate).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2011, 08:02:13 PM
Let's see a "semantic u-turn" on my part.  Shouldn't be hard to find, if that is a common tactic of mine.

I have given up responding to Raz because he is purely a "gotcha" debater, and doesn't read what it is he thinks he is being "gotcha" about.  It's a waste of time.  He doesn't argue positions, just snippets. Paul claims that the CIA has staged a "coup" in warfighting because it is the one flying drones and firing missiles, not the US military, and Raz claims that Ron Paul thinks the CIA has overthrown the US government.  Paul may be a wacko, but Raz isn't demonstrating that; he is instead demonstrating that he doesn't really care what Ron Paul says or thinks, just what Raz can play "gotcha" with.  It is pointless and silly, and I invite him to ignore me as much as I ignore him (and his crony Fate).

Frankly I could not care less why you say you ignore Raz.  I do find it amusing that you lack the self awareness to realize that your usual sementic  arguments have became one of the most recongizable languish memes.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 22, 2011, 07:40:18 PM
:lmfao:

Okay, Mr "this novel is history" man.  Let's see a "semantic u-turn" on my part.  Shouldn't be hard to find, if that is a common tactic of mine.

Very well, but if you are going to ignore me please do so consistently.  Don't jump into a thread, belittle me or insult me, and then just leave.   When you join in, I'm given the false impression that you are being serious and not trolling, and then you go and break my heart.  I know I should know better, but I've always been a fool that hopes that people change.  Incidentally "Gotcha debater" describes you very well.  You've posted several times in this thread, but never actually given us a real idea what you are arguing for.  Most of your posts have been just to tell me that I am wrong.  I asked you point blank what your opinion is of Dr. Paul and you refused to comment.

The quote from Dr. Paul I found goes like this

QuoteThere's been a coup, have you heard? It's the CIA coup. The CIA runs everything, they run the military. They're the ones who are over there lobbing missiles and bombs on countries. ... And of course the CIA is every bit as secretive as the Federal Reserve. ... And yet think of the harm they have done since they were established [after] World War II. They are a government unto themselves. They're in businesses, in drug businesses, they take out dictators ... We need to take out the CIA.

I don't see the "warfighting" in there anywhere.  I don't think the drug bussiness has traditionally been considered a military enterprise, so I think when he says "the CIA runs everything," I think he means more then the CIA has usurped military functions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

As I said, I'm a slow thinker, and it just occurred to me that Grumbler accusing me of "Gotcha" style debating may just be his round-about way of conceding that his statements were incorrect.  If that is so, then I thank him for his gracious concession.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 22, 2011, 08:14:43 PM
Let's see a "semantic u-turn" on my part.  Shouldn't be hard to find, if that is a common tactic of mine.
I do find it amusing that you lack the self awareness to realize that your usual sementic  arguments have became one of the most recongizable languish memes.

So is that a "no, I can't find any examples but I am going to insist that it is true" weasel, or is this a semantic u-turn to change the your contention from being that I engage in "semantic U-turns" to that I care about word meanings?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 08:52:44 PM
As I said, I'm a slow thinker, and it just occurred to me that Grumbler accusing me of "Gotcha" style debating may just be his round-about way of conceding that his statements were incorrect.  If that is so, then I thank him for his gracious concession.

:D

Yep, typical Grumbler bs. If you point out he is wrong he does one of two things.  He accuses you of a gotcha style - which ironically is his speciality over the last couple years or he falls back on semantics to argue he said no such thing and that actually he said the opposite.

One wonders whether he puts on the performance as part of an internet personality ala Neil playing the ethnic Albertan or whether this is the real Grumbler.

garbon

Anyway - Ron does seem to be getting a lot of heat on this issue now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on December 24, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
Anyway - Ron does seem to be getting a lot of heat on this issue now.

I blame the inner-city criminal blacks and the perfidious jews.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zoupa

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 21, 2011, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 21, 2011, 09:55:34 AM
Seems like the ethnic basis would get blurred and start to fade if you have more immigrants.

Which then calls into question the whole raison d'être of the state as a political expression of a nationality.  I mean what is Germany besides the homeland of the Germans?  Why else does it exist at all?  An interesting dilemma.
To administer the territories of the country called Germany? Who else would do it?

France would do it.  :)

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2011, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 21, 2011, 11:11:31 AM
Patriotic feelings need not be based on shared ethnicity. Shared allegiance to a political system and/or its symbols will suffice - look at the US.
I also fail to see where I said they MUST be based on ethnicity, just in the Old World they are as it stands right now.  So my point was, given  that fact, it is hard to judge them too harshly for struggling with the immigration issue more than we have.  We do not have the burden of an ethnically based state.

France is not an ethnically based state, both in theory and in practice. The struggles with immigration have a lot more to do with piss-poor urban planning, high unemployement and religious issues in the public sphere. France's mission civilisatrice is universal after all  :sleep:

Not counting the 15% of racist tards that are present in every western country.