Main Menu

How Progressive Are You?

Started by Fireblade, March 12, 2009, 09:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 06:42:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2009, 06:36:47 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 02:57:57 PM
I dunno.  They don't want any of those dark-sided things near them.  Presumably, any science that doesn't agree with Genesis is dark-sided.

Btw, it's dork-sided :)
I just assumed that she was from one of those parts of the US where they don't speak properly.

She is (Louisiana).  Just looks funnier to type it the way she says it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habsburg

242.  My fiscal score would put me conservative however.

BuddhaRhubarb

346. most of the questions were kinda loaded for one extreme or the other imho.
:p

Hansmeister

52.  I think that almost makes me a commie.

dps

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:00:38 PM
Quote from: vinraith on March 13, 2009, 08:10:14 PM
For the record, I'm an experimental/observational astrophysicist (not a cosmologist, that was Hami, that shit's out of my league), specifically I study emission nebulae (big clouds of photo-ionized gas, like the Orion Nebula, as distinguished from gas that's only visible because of reflected starlight, like the blue glow around the Pleides). I also have taught (and certainly will again teach) astronomy courses.
So do you do a lot of work with star formation and early stellar evolution?
QuoteI assure you that if the conservative movement had its way, I would have no job. Modern conservativism has no use for pure science (and has no problem spreading that message through technology made possible BY pure science, of course). And yes, a certain subgroup of them would probably go further than that considering that I'm an unrepentant "evolutionist" that teaches the big bang theory and global warming science.
I think you're mixing the vocal Reagan-style Christian movement with the low-key Nixon-style conservatives.  Conservatism has a long, proud history of technocracy.

Most conservatives that I know, even religious conservatives, don't really have a problem with "hard" sciences like physics or geology, but are suspicious of the social sciences.  Personally, space exploration and pure science are among the few things I am actually in favor of the federal government spending money on.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 13, 2009, 08:25:15 PM
Vinnie, I know this may sound cheesy, but thanks for your efforts in expanding human knowledge, no matter how big or small they may be in the big picture. I haven't taken an Astronomy course since high school, but it is very interesting to learn about. I hold scientists in high regard.  :)

:blush: Thanks Funk, I really appreciate that. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about members of the military. :hug:

We're missing too many smilies. <_<

vinraith

I think you're mixing the vocal Reagan-style Christian movement with the low-key Nixon-style conservatives.  Conservatism has a long, proud history of technocracy.

Which is why I keep saying "modern" conservatives, there doesn't seem to me much of the old guard left. :(

vinraith

Quote from: dps on March 14, 2009, 12:00:35 AM

Most conservatives that I know, even religious conservatives, don't really have a problem with "hard" sciences like physics or geology, but are suspicious of the social sciences.  Personally, space exploration and pure science are among the few things I am actually in favor of the federal government spending money on.

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :D

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on March 14, 2009, 01:14:22 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 13, 2009, 08:25:15 PM
Vinnie, I know this may sound cheesy, but thanks for your efforts in expanding human knowledge, no matter how big or small they may be in the big picture. I haven't taken an Astronomy course since high school, but it is very interesting to learn about. I hold scientists in high regard.  :)

:blush: Thanks Funk, I really appreciate that. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about members of the military. :hug:

We're missing too many smilies. <_<

Yeah like one to mimic vomiting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2009, 01:20:32 AM
Yeah like one to mimic vomiting.
You can make do with  :P and  >:(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Barrister

Quote from: vinraith on March 14, 2009, 01:15:13 AM

Which is why I keep saying "modern" conservatives, there doesn't seem to me much of the old guard left. :(

Quite honestly when I go to meetings of the Conservative Party of Canada, I meet maybe a handful of biblical literalists - the overwhelming majority are big science supporters...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.