News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

5% of students in 8 states unvaccinated

Started by jimmy olsen, November 28, 2011, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on November 29, 2011, 09:34:44 PM
The current VZV vaccine schedule is one shot at 12-18 months and a second shot at age 4-6. Or 2 shots with 4-8 weeks between the first and second shot if you're older. There isn't a booster for you to forget.

That's new... and good news.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 08:40:11 PM
Quote from: dps on November 29, 2011, 08:27:45 PM
Generally, I want my doctor to treat my symptoms--the rest of my person is none of his business.

I'd also like him to restrict himself to medically proven treatments rather then try herbal supplements.

On this (and few others) I agree with Raz.  The problem with "holistic medicine" is it so often becomes a code word for unproven 'alternative' medicine.  Acupuncture, chiropracty, herbal supplements - all items that place far too much influence to too many people because they all have zero scientific basis for their effcicacy.

That being said - DPS you're wrong.  Treating symptoms and not causes is the worst thing a doctor can do for you.  Treating your cough and not your smoking, treating your diabetes and not your weight - that's the most expensive, inefficient and useless form of medicine going.  Treating symptoms is just about useless if you don't go after the underlying causes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

I prefer to simply rely on my relative invulnerability to physical harm.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2011, 11:21:22 PM

That being said - DPS you're wrong.  Treating symptoms and not causes is the worst thing a doctor can do for you.  Treating your cough and not your smoking, treating your diabetes and not your weight - that's the most expensive, inefficient and useless form of medicine going.  Treating symptoms is just about useless if you don't go after the underlying causes.

My point is that it's my responsibility to take care of myself, not my doctor's.  If I smoked, the doctor couldn't do anything about that.  It's not like people nowdays don't know that smoking is bad for you and that you should watch your diet and get plenty of exercise.