News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rep. Barney Frank announces retirement

Started by garbon, November 28, 2011, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 08:29:34 PM
Yeah, I'm wholly with Raz on this one.  I'm kinda surprised to read these kinds of comments here, usually they're reserved for the Yahoo!'s "have your say and show how much of an idiot you are" section.

I mean the staffers are what help our congress folk understand much of it anyway. It isn't as if 15+ years of experience are really getting put to good use.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2011, 09:26:27 PM
Yeah, I'm wholly with Raz on this one.  I'm kinda surprised to read these kinds of comments here, usually they're reserved for the Yahoo!'s "have your say and show how much of an idiot you are" section.

FWIW, I'm opposed to term limits, too.

President Bill Clinton, for life.  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Fate on November 29, 2011, 09:59:02 PM
Quote from: dps on November 29, 2011, 09:26:27 PM

FWIW, I'm opposed to term limits, too.

President Bill Clinton, for life.  :cool:

So Hil can do the job uncredited?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

:mellow:
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 08:37:36 PM
Populism is seductive.  "We the people know better then those prancing elites up in Washington."  It's a lot fucking harder then it looks.  Most people are willing to find faults in others they wouldn't find in themselves.  That's why most people believe they are above average in intellect.

You are hilarious.

fhdz

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 08:34:58 PM
What would be much better though are prohibitions of taking lobbying positions or jobs in the industries that you had oversight over. And extend those rules to staff.

Hmm - a bit like a non-compete clause. Interesting.

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 28, 2011, 08:39:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2011, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 28, 2011, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2011, 08:20:41 PM
He's going to Africa to be a missionary.  :)
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink::blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
I don't think that's true, is it?

Surely noone on Languish could maintain a religious belief.
I do.  Tim's belief in dialectical materialism is nearly religious, as is BB's obsession with Steve Jobs' pastel colored plastic.

Pastel coloured plastic is so 2001.

It's all about brushed aluminium. :worship:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on November 29, 2011, 11:56:30 PM
What would be much better though are prohibitions of taking lobbying positions or jobs in the industries that you had oversight over. And extend those rules to staff.

Hmm - a bit like a non-compete clause. Interesting.

Except non-compete clauses are monstrous impositions upon people with constrained bargaining power by those with more, whereas this would be an anti-corruption measure to remove power from lobbyists, but I guess it's sort of similar in effect.

P.S.  Tim and dialectical materialism? :unsure:  Tim and fictional maps that have neither aesthetic nor historical value, maybe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

My only objection to term limits is, that when you boil it down, it's a concession that the electorate is too stupid to know better than to not elect the same guy over and over again.

And while we mostly all probably think the electorate IS too stupid...it's kinda a no-win argument, since the electorate, ultimately, is all of us, not just "the other guy".

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2011, 09:48:44 PM

I mean the staffers are what help our congress folk understand much of it anyway. It isn't as if 15+ years of experience are really getting put to good use.

Yet, many still manage to screw up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I agree in a way that term limits are a kludge.  If the incumbent really has a persistent overwhelming advantage election after election, that is not related to his level of performance, then you have deeper problems in the political system.  You would be better off addressing the excess of power problem that long incumbency bring about rather than just artificially limiting the length of time one can serve.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2011, 01:50:35 AM
I agree in a way that term limits are a kludge.  If the incumbent really has a persistent overwhelming advantage election after election, that is not related to his level of performance, then you have deeper problems in the political system.  You would be better off addressing the excess of power problem that long incumbency bring about rather than just artificially limiting the length of time one can serve.

Is it artificial? You can really successfully use your excess of power if your term has limitations.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2011, 09:31:29 PM

I do agree with you, but maybe term limits like 10 terms in the House or 4 terms in the Senate wouldn't be so bad.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

Who the hell else is going to write the legislation?  Georgetown and Yale undergrad interns?