News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rep. Barney Frank announces retirement

Started by garbon, November 28, 2011, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on November 29, 2011, 02:35:56 PM
We need a #-of-terms-served limit. Badly. Career politicians are one of the reasons we are in our current mess.
Yeah, we desperately need new blood like the one we got in 2010.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2011, 08:22:58 PM
We need a #-of-terms-served limit. Badly. Career politicians are one of the reasons we are in our current mess.
Yes, and that # is one.

I'm curious, what is this based on?  An objective study of governments with one term limit compared to no term limits?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Yeah, I'm wholly with Raz on this one.  I'm kinda surprised to read these kinds of comments here, usually they're reserved for the Yahoo!'s "have your say and show how much of an idiot you are" section.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 07:22:54 PM
Dodd and Frank or the culprits according to conservative land despite being in the minority at the time.  Revealing the other actors in the scenario would be embarrassing.  The result is this strange circumstance where members of the minority party are the main culprits.

I think when Dodd Frank passed they were in the majority?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 08:27:30 PM
Yeah, we desperately need new blood like the one we got in 2010.

The 2006 new blood wasn't that helpful.  When ever you have a huge influx of newbies there is a always a slow down of the system, an increase in filibusters, etc before the newbies learn the rules and find out what they can and can't do.  People aren't born with legislating skills.  They have to learn them, and there really aren't many places to learn them.  And contrary to popular belief, there are in fact skills involved.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 08:32:17 PM
Dodd and Frank or the culprits according to conservative land despite being in the minority at the time.  Revealing the other actors in the scenario would be embarrassing.  The result is this strange circumstance where members of the minority party are the main culprits.

Well that one can hardly be blamed for the current crisis.  I mean, it occurred two years after.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2011, 08:29:34 PM
Yeah, I'm wholly with Raz on this one.  I'm kinda surprised to read these kinds of comments here, usually they're reserved for the Yahoo!'s "have your say and show how much of an idiot you are" section.

I do agree with you, but maybe term limits like 10 terms in the House or 4 terms in the Senate wouldn't be so bad.

What would be much better though are prohibitions of taking lobbying positions or jobs in the industries that you had oversight over. And extend those rules to staff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

I think they're talking about the decision to allow Fred and Fan to buy subprime mortgages.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2011, 08:33:56 PM

Well that one can hardly be blamed for the current crisis.  I mean, it occurred two years after.

gotcha. It seems wierd to put the blame of a worldwide crisis on a senator and congressman who weren't even the leaders of their party in their respective legislative bodies, but to be fair they were both in and out of the majorities during their pre 2008 careers.

Razgovory

Populism is seductive.  "We the people know better then those prancing elites up in Washington."  It's a lot fucking harder then it looks.  Most people are willing to find faults in others they wouldn't find in themselves.  That's why most people believe they are above average in intellect.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2011, 08:36:05 PM

I think they're talking about the decision to allow Fred and Fan to buy subprime mortgages.

But that clearly didn't cause the crisis. They weren't such big players in subprime, if the problem was even subprime to begin with.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 08:38:36 PM
But that clearly didn't cause the crisis. They weren't such big players in subprime, if the problem was even subprime to begin with.

You sure?  I'm almost certain they had a giant subprime book.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2011, 08:42:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 08:38:36 PM

You sure?  I'm almost certain they had a giant subprime book.

I don't think so, I think it was mostly private and to the extent they got into the game it was late. But I don't have the numbers offhand.

dps

FWIW, I'm opposed to term limits, too. 

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2011, 08:34:58 PM

I do agree with you, but maybe term limits like 10 terms in the House or 4 terms in the Senate wouldn't be so bad.

What would be much better though are prohibitions of taking lobbying positions or jobs in the industries that you had oversight over. And extend those rules to staff.

I don't think this is unreasonable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)