News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Deficit Talks Fail

Started by jimmy olsen, November 21, 2011, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 21, 2011, 10:19:56 PM
What some people forget is that they were passed initially a temporary stimulus measure - hence the (disregarded) sunset.

You're not that naive. Everything intended to be a temporary fix becomes permanent.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2011, 10:40:42 PM
There were a few.  The Ryan proposal

The Ryan proposal was New Math.  The GOP is balking now at auto spending cuts to defense; the Ryan plan if actually implemented as proposed would leave $0 for defense by a couple decades out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

I don't see how the deficit talks can be considered a failure, particularly since the deficit gets cut with the automatic kick-ins.

Buhbye, W's rich pipple tax cuts.

KRonn

I guess now our politicians are scrambling a bit to decide on renewing some of the Bush/Obama tax cuts that were extended last year. If nothing is decided then all our payroll taxes go up in January. About a thousand dollars a year for the average worker. That will hurt a bit.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2011, 03:31:47 PM
I don't see how the deficit talks can be considered a failure, particularly since the deficit gets cut with the automatic kick-ins.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2011, 03:31:47 PM

Buhbye, W's rich pipple tax cuts.

I almost wonder if this was the plan all along.

It kinda gives the congress-critters some political cover, instead of having to answer to accusations that he/she "voted for unfair cuts/take hikes", they can say "we didn't want to make cuts...it was the law".