News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fuck you apple

Started by Josquius, November 09, 2011, 03:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2011, 11:19:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 10:57:07 AMPersonal computers existed before Jobs and his impact was more on appearance than function.

Uhm yes, that's the fucking point. A Zegna suit fulfills the same purpose as a burlap sack. A Manolo Blahnik shoe fulfills the same purpose as a wooden clog. Yet noone sane claims that there is no difference between them (or that the difference is functionality only).

In fact, the aesthetics plays an important part as to why people choose Apple products, so discounting this as inconsequential is rather silly. The genius of Jobs was the realization that computers and computer-like products can be a status symbol/accessory/functional art work as much as a car, a pair of shoes, clothes or furniture can be.

I think Jobs is so hated (in addition to being so loved) because he took computers out of the dank, drab caves of computer nerds and gave it to the lofty, flighty show rooms of the artists and super models. Ritchie was a dwarf, Jobs was an elf. The twain shall never meet or see eye to eye.

When discussing Jobs legacy, only you would start and finish with design.   :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2011, 11:19:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 10:57:07 AMPersonal computers existed before Jobs and his impact was more on appearance than function.

Uhm yes, that's the fucking point. A Zegna suit fulfills the same purpose as a burlap sack. A Manolo Blahnik shoe fulfills the same purpose as a wooden clog. Yet noone sane claims that there is no difference between them (or that the difference is functionality only).

I have read a lot of CC's strawmen, and yet none of them have recently been so far off as this one.

hen you invent a strawman, invent one that makes sense.  The argument that a "Zegna suit fulfills the same purpose as a burlap sack" is so obviously fucking stupid and wrong that it doesn't even qualify as a proper strawmman argument.

QuoteIn fact, the aesthetics plays an important part as to why people choose Apple products, so discounting this as inconsequential is rather silly.

Not as silly as arguing that anyone says that aesthetics are inconsequential.  It is true that most people won't pay double the price for a product that is only esthetically different, but enough will that Apple is rich.

QuoteThe genius of Jobs was the realization that computers and computer-like products can be a status symbol/accessory/functional art work as much as a car, a pair of shoes, clothes or furniture can be.

The genius of Jobs wasn't so much in realizing that people would pay a significant premium for aesthetics, but in designing an aesthetic that these people would embrace.  Lots of people failed at this.

QuoteI think Jobs is so hated (in addition to being so loved) because he took computers out of the dank, drab caves of computer nerds and gave it to the lofty, flighty show rooms of the artists and super models. Ritchie was a dwarf, Jobs was an elf. The twain shall never meet or see eye to eye.

I don't think you have a clue as to the actual significance of either man.  They didn't disagree on anything, insofar as I know, and they probably saw eye-to-eye on many things.  I think Jobs is "hated" (if he is at all hated) because he celebrated the triumph of form over substance.  Some people cannot stand that, I guess.

The analogy to make is that Ritchie built the house, and Jobs painted, furnished, and decorated all the rooms.  The house would sell without the superlative interior design work, but it wouldn't sell for nearly as much, and maybe not please its owners nearly as much.

Nonetheless, the fact remains that, without Ritchie, there would be no Mac or iPhone.  Without Jobs, there would be a Mac and iPhone but they wouldn't work as well or look so good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I dunno, I would keep Potatoes in Zegna suit.  Zegna is that video game company right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Nothing beats a tracksuit, as long as it's well-tailored.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
You're getting blind-sided by focusing on Macs.  Macs are wonderful, and popularized the GUI, but yes by 1984 the personal computer was common, and the Mac was just another personal computer.

But go back to the Apple I and Apple II in the late 70s.  The personal computer existed only as a hobby, and required you to asseble it yourself (down to soldering the circuitboard).  It was Jobs and Woz who sold the first true personal computer.  When IBM came along with the IBM PC the Apple II (and a few others) had been around for several years.

I think you are getting blindsided by focusing on the IBM PC.  The PC was not the first PC IBM made, nor the first anyone but Apple made.  The IBM 5100 came out almost two years before even the Apple I, and the HP 9830 two years before that.  None of them were kits.

Jobs definitely was a genius at making things easy to use, and there is no question that the Apple II accelerated the acceptance of the PC as part of education and daily life, but all it did was accelerate a trend.  Before Jobs came along, PC use was growing.  Before Ritchie came alone, no one was even trying to write machine-codable-but-human-readable programming languages, as far as I can tell.  C was a real breakthrough, and, of course, Unix re-wrote the book.  Jobs never re-wrote the book.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Another difference is that lots of people use Jobs's products.  The only people who use that other guy's products are programmers or very advanced users.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2011, 01:17:38 PM
Another difference is that lots of people use Jobs's products.  The only people who use that other guy's products are programmers or very advanced users.

Isn't more like people simply don't realize they use Ritchie's products as they have never heard of him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 01:15:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
You're getting blind-sided by focusing on Macs.  Macs are wonderful, and popularized the GUI, but yes by 1984 the personal computer was common, and the Mac was just another personal computer.

But go back to the Apple I and Apple II in the late 70s.  The personal computer existed only as a hobby, and required you to asseble it yourself (down to soldering the circuitboard).  It was Jobs and Woz who sold the first true personal computer.  When IBM came along with the IBM PC the Apple II (and a few others) had been around for several years.

I think you are getting blindsided by focusing on the IBM PC.  The PC was not the first PC IBM made, nor the first anyone but Apple made.  The IBM 5100 came out almost two years before even the Apple I, and the HP 9830 two years before that.  None of them were kits.

Jobs definitely was a genius at making things easy to use, and there is no question that the Apple II accelerated the acceptance of the PC as part of education and daily life, but all it did was accelerate a trend.  Before Jobs came along, PC use was growing.  Before Ritchie came alone, no one was even trying to write machine-codable-but-human-readable programming languages, as far as I can tell.  C was a real breakthrough, and, of course, Unix re-wrote the book.  Jobs never re-wrote the book.

Well, yes and no.  I mean certainly the personal computer didn't spring fully formed out of Jobs' parents garage, and was a part of a whole scene.

But you picked what are perhaps not the best examples.  Using wiki (just to annoy you too :p) the IBM was described as a "portable computer", and the HP as a "programmable calculator".  However, on the wiki page of "history of personal computers" it mentions what are perhaps better counter-examples - the Commodore PET and the TRS-80.  However of those early computers it was the Apple II that dominated - up until IBM released the IBM PC.

And I have to say - Jobs did in fact re-write a lot of books.  He re-wrote the book on interacting with computers.  He re-wrote the book on cell phones.  He re-wrote the book on animated movies.  and he re-wrote the book on how you buy music.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2011, 01:05:53 PM

What is the deal with your people and track suits anyway?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2011, 01:15:11 PM
Before Ritchie came alone, no one was even trying to write machine-codable-but-human-readable programming languages, as far as I can tell.

That's not entirely true.  The point of a programming language is to translate a human readable format into a machine readable format.  Even Assembly performs this function, although the human readable part is a bit of a stretch.  Fortran from the 50s used English language words.  C succeeded in combining legibility with a relatively small set of native commands and a format that permitted easy generation of native Assembly.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2011, 01:33:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2011, 01:05:53 PM

What is the deal with your people and track suits anyway?
It's something that tough guys wore, so everyone who fancied himself a tough guy or wanted to look like one wore it as well.  As to how that fashioned started in the first place, I do not know.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2011, 01:17:38 PM
The people who use Jobs' products but not Ritchie's are people who use the iPod without ever downloading a song.

The people who use use Ritchie's products but not Jobs' are people who use the internet on any computers or phones bar Apples'.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 01:30:56 PM
And I have to say - Jobs did in fact re-write a lot of books.  He re-wrote the book on interacting with computers.  He re-wrote the book on cell phones.  He re-wrote the book on animated movies.  and he re-wrote the book on how you buy music.
Steve Jobs didn't re-write the book on interacting with computers, nor cell phones, nor animated movies.  Those are all done pretty much the way they have been done before Jobs got involved in them.  Music I am less sure of.  It seems to me that PtP preceded single-compressed-track pay downloads, but I cannot swear to it.  I don't much care for ganked music, if I am paying for it, so i don't follow that model.

Bayraktar!