News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fuck you apple

Started by Josquius, November 09, 2011, 03:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Well, the problem with arguing that Jobs has had a huge influence on most people's daily lives is that most people, even those that have computers, don't have Apple products.  You have to argue that the PC revolution wouldn't have happened without Jobs and Apple, and I don't agree with that assessment.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 10, 2011, 07:17:15 PM
Well, the problem with arguing that Jobs has had a huge influence on most people's daily lives is that most people, even those that have computers, don't have Apple products.  You have to argue that the PC revolution wouldn't have happened without Jobs and Apple, and I don't agree with that assessment.

What about smartphones and tablets? He also popularized these now ubiquitous products.

Remember Nokia? They used to be dominant 10 years ago. Now, they are almost a goner.

Razgovory

Nope, I don't remember Nokia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2011, 07:18:26 PM

What about smartphones and tablets? He also popularized these now ubiquitous products.

Remember Nokia? They used to be dominant 10 years ago. Now, they are almost a goner.
Smartphones existed before Apple got into that market, as did tablets.

Jobs was a genius at making existing products better.  That's it, though.  His innovations were all just making something that existed already just that little bit better. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2011, 07:12:27 PM
I think the artist vs. scientist comparison works for Jobs and Ritchie.

It's like arguing who had a greater impact: Johann Guttenberg or William Shakespeare?

Without the printing press, most likely the ideas and works of Shakespeare would have not survived. And Shakespeare stole ideas, probably plagiarized some of his works, was by contemporary standards possibly a hack and outshone more talented contemporaries, like Marlowe. Yet, Shakespeare had a much greater direct impact on our culture - and you could argue that if Guttenberg was hit by a stray bullet at the age of 15, someone else would have eventually come up with a similar idea - would another Shakespeare arise if the original was killed is debatable however.

I guess we can agree that Ritchie (or Guttenberg) had a greater impact on science and technology, but Jobs (and Shakespeare) had a greater impact on culture.
Actually, it is like arguing whether marti is responsible for the introduction of really stupid analogies, or whether his keyboard manufacturer is responsible because the keyboard allows Marty to expose the world of Languish to those stupid analogies. 

Jobs is to Shakespeare as the shitsmears on Monkeybutt's toilet paper is to Picasso's Dora Maar Au Chat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quotethe shitsmears on Monkeybutt's toilet paper is to Picasso's Dora Maar Au Chat

:wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Yeah, it is another point of data in my fascination with cult worship that the cult members would equate Jobs to fucking Shakespeare.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

On thinking about it, probably the closest historical counterpart to Jobs would be George Eastman.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

No, you only have to argue that it happened differently with Jobs. No one is arguing that we wouldn't have computers without Jobs.

Berkut

Quote from: Threviel on November 11, 2011, 12:54:06 AM

No, you only have to argue that it happened differently with Jobs. No one is arguing that we wouldn't have computers without Jobs.

It would have happened even more differently without Bill Gates, if you are using that as your measure, since you've apparently abandoned the "Ran successful business" and "built my phone" arguments. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2011, 07:59:44 PM

Jobs is to Shakespeare as the shitsmears on Monkeybutt's toilet paper is to Picasso's Dora Maar Au Chat.

WTF? You really bought the whole Jobs myth didn't you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Waaaa, stop crying.
The world is made of losers and winners.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"