Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: KRonn on November 04, 2011, 11:37:53 AM
That must have been what some of our bank, financial corp leaders and some politicians were relying on for decision making, to get us to the economic turmoil we're in.   :D

They'd probably have been *better off* relying on that than what they ended up with. :D
and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2011, 08:21:58 AM
That was interesting.  I guess you just can't get such detail from history books.
I imagine it does help to have been there.
PDH!

Gbeagle

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2011, 11:24:50 AM
Common where? :huh:

At least where I live (California) it's a somewhat common adjective to describe snobbish upper middle class people or things.

crazy canuck

"Wino" used to be a commonly used term here.  We now call them Occupiers.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 12:38:37 PM

a) wrong thread.
b) why so much hate? Are the Occupiers affecting your day-to-day life that much?

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 12:39:51 PM

a) wrong thread.
b) why so much hate? Are the Occupiers affecting your day-to-day life that much?

a) not it isnt;
b) yes they are

Jacob

Quote from: fahdiz on November 04, 2011, 12:39:51 PM

a) wrong thread.

b) They're occupying a space close to his office. CC gets to hear every single chant they make as he goes about his work. That would tend to piss me off too.

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2011, 12:51:16 PM
b) They're occupying a space close to his office. CC gets to hear every single chant they make as he goes about his work. That would tend to piss me off too.

Ah, yeah. I've a friend who works in the building right across the street from the Occupy protests here. He takes lots of phone photos of the spectacle and posts them on Facebook.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 04:06:12 AM
What? Marx defined the working class as individuals who sell their labor power for wages and who do not own the means of production. That's me, along with almost everyone else on this board.

I also do not own enough to live off the capital yet.

For someone raised in the Eastern Bloc, you seem to be woefully ignorant about terminology.

First of all, a person who owns significant property but not enough to live off of that property alone, is not a proletarian under Marx's schema, but of the petite bourgeoisie.  Second, in Capital, Marx distinguished the proletariat workers proper from those workers who exercise managerial or supervisory functions within the captialist system who have a dual (conflicted) nature.

You'd think the Marty would have picked up on this in school.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2011, 10:20:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2011, 10:19:14 AM
I vote we use some Eurocrats for entrail-reading purposes in this crisis ...  ;)

Or observe how many eagles pass over Brussels.

you'll have to find some F15-eagles for that I fear. Real ones is a no go.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 10:46:14 AM
Is there anyone on this forum who is an honest-to-god prole in Marxist-speak? I'd have thought almost everyone here was some sort of bourgeoisie, petite or otherwise, or at least a bourgie wannabe. 

It's hard, being without any real-life proles to oppress.  :cry:

Well, except for Slargos, of course.  :D

I'm a Lumpenproletariat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: fahdiz on November 03, 2011, 03:03:29 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2011, 01:59:53 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on November 03, 2011, 12:40:38 PM
Augurs read bird flight patterns, not entrails. :nerd:
Roman augers read the livers of sacrificial animals (the auspices) as well as bird flights, meteorological and astrological phenomenon, etc . :nerd:

Actually a priest who read entrails was called a "haruspex". Augury explicitly refers to bird flights. It's definitely true that "augury" has come to refer colloquially to any number of divination techniques, but augury back then had a specific meaning.
I work with someone who has -based on some of the Mesopotamian works (don't know which country)- done a real "reading of the entrails". Academics, lol.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2011, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2011, 10:46:14 AM
Is there anyone on this forum who is an honest-to-god prole in Marxist-speak? I'd have thought almost everyone here was some sort of bourgeoisie, petite or otherwise, or at least a bourgie wannabe. 

It's hard, being without any real-life proles to oppress.  :cry:

Well, except for Slargos, of course.  :D

I'm a Lumpenproletariat.

No, you're a Rumpelstiltskin. That's not the same thing.