Greece shocks markets with referendum on austerity

Started by garbon, November 01, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

That was interesting.  I guess you just can't get such detail from history books.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2011, 01:36:29 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 03, 2011, 12:54:50 PM
:huh:  I am bewildered.  Do you have to be the opposite of the descriptive term you're using?  If I describe someone as an athlete, do I have to be "some sort of couch potato or something"?

I mean I get the 19th century idea of a class who make money based on their ownership of capitol rather than labor or aristocratic rentiers.  But in a modern economy, particularly where such a huge percentage work in service industries, what does that refer to?  Because clearly Marty is not an owner of a factory with workers making money off their labor for him to alienate and exploit.  Does it refer to people who are above a certain education level, or who own a certain amount of property, or make a certain level of wages, or what exactly?

Yes.   :)

It seems reasonable to see the nature of the bourgeoisie changing alongside the radical changes in capitalism between the mid-Nineteenth Century and today.  High-end corporate lawyers facilitate the protection and entrenchment of today's complex capital interests, regardless of the consequences for the laboring population (which I agree is more and more a sort of service-sector proletariat).  And they are more than adequately compensated for their noble efforts, as Martinus never tires of telling us, alongside his enlightened classism that he contrasts with the puerile ethnic/religious prejudices of the inferior classes.  Attitudes, privileges, and, most importantly, material roles in the performance of global capitalism define the contemporary bourgeoisie to my mind.

The rise and current domination of the globalized and wishfully depoliticized bourgeoisie is one of the most significant material, social, and philosophical developments in the course of modernity.  Relying on Marx's actual texts (rather than rehashed cliches), he notes that: "Civil society as such only develops with the bourgeoisie; the social organisation evolving directly out of production and commerce, which in all ages forms the basis of the State and of the rest of the idealistic superstructure..." (The German Ideology)  Bourgeois actors may try to individualize themselves through their cultural views (gay marriage!) or consumptive habits (organic food!), but they are ultimately invested with tremendous transnational economic and political power maintained, rationally, in the interests of their own class.

As much as the Nineteenth Century's "two great classes" of the Bourgeoisie and the Proletariat have disintegrated in the face of a contemporary capitalism that is unconstrained by the nation-state, rendered incomprehensible by high finance, relies on new forms of wage labor (e.g. the service sector), dictates politics in a more discreet fashion, and mystifies itself through endless ideological justifications, I think the concept of the bourgeoisie is still relevant. 

Far from being a concept held only by eggheads/idiots/reds, it has a lot of popular resonance, from David Brooks's awful books ("Bobos ["bourgeois bohemians"] In Paradise," to the pretty common put-down of calling someone "bougie."

To "update" Marx's immortal statement in the Manifesto of the Communist Party, I would write: "The postmodern bourgeois society that has sprouted from the ruins of industrial society has not done away with class antagonisms.  It has but established new classes, new conditions of oppression, new forms of struggle in place of the old ones."   

:swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 04:06:12 AM
What? Marx defined the working class as individuals who sell their labor power for wages and who do not own the means of production. That's me, along with almost everyone else on this board.

I also do not own enough to live off the capital yet.

For someone raised in the Eastern Bloc, you seem to be woefully ignorant about terminology.

First of all, a person who owns significant property but not enough to live off of that property alone, is not a proletarian under Marx's schema, but of the petite bourgeoisie.  Second, in Capital, Marx distinguished the proletariat workers proper from those workers who exercise managerial or supervisory functions within the captialist system who have a dual (conflicted) nature.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2011, 04:06:12 AM
What? Marx defined the working class as individuals who sell their labor power for wages and who do not own the means of production. That's me, along with almost everyone else on this board.

I also do not own enough to live off the capital yet.

For someone raised in the Eastern Bloc, you seem to be woefully ignorant about terminology.

First of all, a person who owns significant property but not enough to live off of that property alone, is not a proletarian under Marx's schema, but of the petite bourgeoisie.  Second, in Capital, Marx distinguished the proletariat workers proper from those workers who exercise managerial or supervisory functions within the captialist system who have a dual (conflicted) nature.

Malthus

Is there anyone on this forum who is an honest-to-god prole in Marxist-speak? I'd have thought almost everyone here was some sort of bourgeoisie, petite or otherwise, or at least a bourgie wannabe. 

It's hard, being without any real-life proles to oppress.  :cry:

Well, except for Slargos, of course.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I always thought petite bourgeoisie was a cop out personally.  Just a catagory to lump everybody who did not fit in one of his other catagories.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2011, 10:47:53 AM

I always thought petite bourgeoisie was a cop out personally.  Just a catagory to lump everybody who did not fit in one of his other catagories.

A typical petit-bourgeois comment  :P

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2011, 08:21:58 AM
That was interesting.  I guess you just can't get such detail from history books.
You probably could have, had you not been so focused on coloring in the pictures.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

I have no doubt that the divinations of the haruspex were later absorbed by the College of Augurs (despite originating in different areas and thus being quite separate initially) and thus am not sure it's worth arguing about. I will say that I found this interesting reading material on the subject of augury and the College of Augurs.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Augurium.html
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2011, 01:59:53 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on November 03, 2011, 12:40:38 PM
Augurs read bird flight patterns, not entrails. :nerd:
Roman augers read the livers of sacrificial animals (the auspices) as well as bird flights, meteorological and astrological phenomenon, etc . :nerd:
That must have been what some of our bank, financial corp leaders and some politicians were relying on for decision making, to get us to the economic turmoil we're in.   :D