American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

So I have to gather some documentation for the CMP to get my M1 Garand and I haven't found a 1911 at a decent price.  Wanted to get something new in the meantime, so I picked up one of these ugly mofos at AIM last Thursday.  Romanian Tokarev in 7.62x25mm.

Not much on looks but it's in great condition and really well-made.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I'm sure the little Missus will appreciate the ambiance it'll bring to Stalin Purge Night.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2013, 01:38:19 PM
I'm sure the little Missus will appreciate the ambiance it'll bring to Stalin Purge Night.

I felt lost after I sold off that Soviet-made Nagant pistol (the one and only revolver I ever owned btw).

Razgovory

The Soviets actually preferred German guns for those kind of things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

The Soviets actually preferred German guns for those kind of things.

And the Germans preferred some Soviet guns.  Funny how that worked out.

derspiess

Finally got my membership to the local rifle & pistol club so I have a rifle & outdoor pistol range close by.  So with my day off yesterday I shot some of my last bit of 7.62x25 ammo the Romanian Tokarev.  Nice little fireball shoots out the muzzle.  Not the most accurate thing at 25m but it's good enough, and is balanced a lot better than it looks.  I forgot the Yugoslavian ammo had such hard primers, so some rounds took a couple strikes to fire.

I had also bought some Wolf 9x19 ammo because it was cheap.  I used it in my Glock 17 at the plinking range to shoot plastic juice bottles & milk jugs filled with water.  Had a few failures to feed-- serves me right for trying to use steel-cased ammo I guess.  Going to burn through the last 2 boxes next time out & then never again.  I never, ever had any problems with brass-cased ammo.

Caliga

I've never had a single FTF with the Glock 19 and I've shot some steels through it, though it's been a while... pretty much always use brass casings now (my father-in-law gave me some of the former).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2013, 02:39:44 PM
I had also bought some Wolf 9x19 ammo because it was cheap.  I used it in my Glock 17 at the plinking range to shoot plastic juice bottles & milk jugs filled with water.  Had a few failures to feed-- serves me right for trying to use steel-cased ammo I guess.  Going to burn through the last 2 boxes next time out & then never again.  I never, ever had any problems with brass-cased ammo.

Cheap is as cheap does.  And I bet the powder's a frigging mess to clean as well.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 03:12:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2013, 02:39:44 PM

Cheap is as cheap does.  And I bet the powder's a frigging mess to clean as well.

Actually it shot rather clean.  The consensus seems to be that the "old" Wolf 9mm ammo (green-colored steel case) was dirty.  This stuff (grey case) wasn't that bad.  I hear horrible things about that Tulammo & wouldn't shoot it in anything except maybe an AK.

I found this stuff for $10/box of 50 and I hadn't seen that price for ammo in a long time.  I miss the good old days where I could get good quality S&B at a local shop for less than $8.

CountDeMoney

Well, avoid PMC.  Steel casings AND crappy powder.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 03:37:10 PM
Well, avoid PMC.  Steel casings AND crappy powder.

Their X-TAC 5.56mm ammo is actually quite good.

CountDeMoney

I wouldn't know about their long gun ammo.  Because I'm not a psychopathic nutter.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 03:46:37 PM
I wouldn't know about their long gun ammo.  Because I'm not a psychopathic nutter.

I thought psychopaths still tended to prefer handguns.