News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 7

Started by sbr, October 23, 2011, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2011, 10:20:18 AMThey were awful as well, but there's no getting around how poorly the Ravens played.

Haven't seen the game, I was referencing CdM's contempt for the game officials.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Tim Tebow, Convertor of the Passes

QuoteI'm sure there are people who manage to escape the demographic rooting pattern this creates. But in broad strokes, it's fair to say that how you feel about Tebow depends on how you feel about youth groups and Elisabeth Hasselbeck and, I don't know, WWJD bracelets and raft retreats with a lot of bonfires and swaying. Other religious players are religious individuals; Tebow is a whole culture. It helps that, as an NFL player, he's both nontraditional and kind of bad, which makes it easy to see his success as guided by a higher power — if a dude with that background and that throwing motion completes a touchdown pass, it almost has to be a miracle.

derspiess

The anti-Tebowites are starting to annoy me even more than Tebow's followers.  That's quite an accomplishment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2011, 01:43:57 PM
The anti-Tebowites are starting to annoy me even more than Tebow's followers.  That's quite an accomplishment.

The fact this dude is so polarizing is pretty bizarre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

That's what a good part of the above article is about.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on October 25, 2011, 02:02:59 PM

Well he is hardly the only Jesus freak in the league.  Hell half the players give God credit everytime they score.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2011, 01:43:57 PM
Honestly, I have little problem with him personally.  It's the cult of personality that has developed around him and the non stop chatter since before he was even drafted that annoy me to no end.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2011, 02:12:27 PM

Well he is hardly the only Jesus freak in the league.  Hell half the players give God credit everytime they score.

And all teams have team chaplains, FWIW.

Anyway, I never got the impression that a majority of Tebow's rabid fans in Denver were particularly religious.  May be different in the rest of the country though, dunno.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2011, 03:41:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2011, 02:12:27 PM

And all teams have team chaplains, FWIW.

Anyway, I never got the impression that a majority of Tebow's rabid fans in Denver were particularly religious.  May be different in the rest of the country though, dunno.

Well I am not in Denver but that article seems to suggest religion is reason he is polarizing.  Which would be weird if true.

The Minsky Moment

The way the guy played last game was pretty polarizing.  57 minutes in which the option to substitute in Ryan Leaf would have seemed attractive, followed by 3 minutes of extraordinary execution.  Is he a miracle man or a guy who puts his team in a position where they need a miracle?  Not hard to see why discussion might acquire a theological tinge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2011, 04:44:26 PM
The way the guy played last game was pretty polarizing.  57 minutes in which the option to substitute in Ryan Leaf would have seemed attractive, followed by 3 minutes of extraordinary execution.  Is he a miracle man or a guy who puts his team in a position where they need a miracle?  Not hard to see why discussion might acquire a theological tinge.
Or lucky enough to have his first full game against the awful joke masquerading as an NFL team known as the Dolphins.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Alcibiades

I know Owens is old and still slightly hurt, and it is late in the season now, but why isn't any team interested in him what so ever?  I know he has a terrible attitude but he has a bit of football left in him.  Hell the Ravens could even use him, and those strong personalities could probably keep him in line.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

Unless Owens can block blitzers, he's not the answer in Baltimore.  Ben Grubbs is the answer in Baltimore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2011, 08:44:37 AM
Unless OwensFlacco can block blitzersmake some good plays, he's not the answer in Baltimore.  Big Ben Grubbs is the answer in Baltimore.

I fixed that for you!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Tebow does get a bad rap. I was listening to ESPN radio the other day and they were discussing his production in his 4 career starts. He has something like 11 TD's (passing/rushing) with only 3 Ints and a couple fumbles along with the 2pt conversion he made last game.

A QB that averages almost 3 TD's a game and about 1 turnover isn't a bad thing to have. Hate or Love him, he does deserve a longer chance to show what he can accomplish. He reminds me of Flutie. It isn't pretty but he wins than they replace him with the "pretty boy".
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher