News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK Defence Secretary resigns

Started by Brazen, October 14, 2011, 10:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I don't suppose many of you have been following this as closely as I've been forced too, but it's decidedly dodgy.

QuoteLiam Fox quits as defence secretary

Defence Secretary Liam Fox has resigned.

He has been under pressure after a week of allegations over his working relationship with friend and self-styled adviser Adam Werritty.

In a letter to David Cameron, Mr Fox said he had "mistakenly allowed" his personal and professional responsibilities to become "blurred".

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said Mr Cameron concluded Mr Fox could no longer continue.

The defence secretary has faced allegations about his links to his former flatmate Adam Werritty after it emerged that the lobbyist had accompanied him on 18 foreign trips despite having no official role.

Mr Fox was being investigated by the Cabinet Secretary amid claims that he had broken the ministerial code.

In his resignation letter, Mr Fox said he had "mistakenly allowed the distinction between my personal interest and my government activities to become blurred".

"The consequences of this have become clearer in recent days," he added. "I am very sorry for this.

"I have also repeatedly said that the national interest must always come before personal interest.

"I now have to hold myself to my own standard. I have therefore decided, with great sadness, to resign from my post as secretary of state for defence."

Despite being many years younger, Werrity was Fox's flat mate and best man at his wedding. He became a health lobbyist when Fox was shadow secretary for health, then a defence lobbyist just after he was made defence secretary. He visited Fox at the MOD 22 times, despite having no official role or security clearance. And he just happened to turn up on many of Fox's overseas visits, despite having a salary of just £20,000.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

More like he offended the press and they have destroyed him.

There is a story somewhere in all the innuendo and tale-telling, but I have no idea what it is  :hmm:

As Brazen suggested, it is unlikely to be an elevating story when the truth emerges, if it ever does.

Sheilbh

This looked dodgy.  Especially the Sri Lankan angle.

I find it weird that anyone thought they'd have to pay someone to lobby Liam Fox to be Eurosceptic, Atlanticist and pro-Israel.

On the other hand Fox seems to have been a pretty poor Defence Secretary so I won't  miss him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

There's a joke quoted over at the Telegraph :

"Must be a first. Minister resigns to spend less time with friends and family."

:D

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on October 14, 2011, 11:07:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2011, 10:36:32 AM
Gay lover?

Probably.
It's pretty much compulsory for a certain percentage of any given Cabinet.

Warspite

It's Whitehall's worst kept secret that Dr Fox bats for the other side. (Not that it should be an issue: the problem is the other conflicts of interest.)

I'm a bit surprised, I thought that since he'd survived till today he was in the clear. I suspect there's some other angle to this about to surface. All this is highly improper.

Tory sleaze is all very mid-nineties. Will Cameron now launch: Back to Basics?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

Should have come out before taking up ministerial office, It's not as if anyone of any consequence cares anymore.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 14, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
Should have come out before taking up ministerial office, It's not as if anyone of any consequence cares anymore.
His wife might be a little taken aback.

Berkut

Your gay lover as best man at your wedding?

Ouch. His poor wife.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2011, 11:30:38 AM

Ouch. His poor wife.

We haven't heard who *she* had as her maid of honour ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Brazen on October 14, 2011, 11:30:33 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 14, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
His wife might be a little taken aback.

I would imagine that she knew all about it anyway.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2011, 11:30:38 AM

Ouch. His poor wife.

I assumed that he must come from that certain slice of society where his wife woulc come to expect it.  But according to his wiki page it sounds like he came from quite humble origins.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 14, 2011, 11:32:52 AM
I would imagine that she knew all about it anyway.
I've frequently considered offering myself up as a beard for a rich homosexual. Especially if he had a job that got him a second house for his boyfriend. I told Mart if he was still single when he was 30 we'd come up with a deal, but he never took me up on it  :glare: