And we're back!

Main Menu

I've purchased Civ V

Started by Darth Wagtaros, October 05, 2011, 08:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szmik

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2011, 06:53:43 PM
I liked Civ 1 the best.  :)
I spent more time with it than with any further. But back then there was just it, Warlords and Sensible Soccer for me. :)
Later there was too many games to spend that much time on a single title, except for early CMs
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Martinus

I spent more time as a kid building sand castles than I did as an adult going to a theatre. That does not mean the former is a superior form of entertainment to the latter.

That's why any statements like "I spent most time on Civ1 so it is the best" are retarded.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2011, 11:25:07 AM
I spent more time as a kid building sand castles than I did as an adult going to a theatre. That does not mean the former is a superior form of entertainment to the latter.

That's why any statements like "I spent most time on Civ1 so it is the best" are retarded.

How much time do you spend at the theater?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Cecil

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2011, 04:13:02 AM
Civ 2 was amazing for its time but its clearly not the best in the modern day.
That would be....I don't know. 4?

Probably yeah. Still I think even that drunken fool of a military advisor gave better advice than the ones in 4. And the wonder movies were amazing. I can watch them out of pure enjoyment even today. Still I´d admit that the mechanics are dated but the game is still a fun play and has more dept than 5.

Also one should remember that 4 only got its "BEST EVAH" rating due to 2 expansion packs. Vanilla wasnt all that good.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2011, 11:25:07 AM

What did you grow up on the beach or something?  How much time could one possibly spend building sand castles?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Cecil on October 17, 2011, 12:28:21 PM
Also one should remember that 4 only got its "BEST EVAH" rating due to 2 expansion packs. Vanilla wasnt all that good.

Which says nothing as that's the way of the world today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Cecil

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 12:58:09 PM

Not really no.

garbon

Quote from: Cecil on October 17, 2011, 01:10:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 12:58:09 PM

Not really no.

But really yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2011, 04:36:33 AM
It is missing the "magic" of Civ IV for some reason, but with the now patched version it is a very streamlined and good game, with meaningful choices (unlike Civ4).

Explain please
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2011, 04:13:02 AM
Civ 2 was amazing for its time but its clearly not the best in the modern day.
That would be....I don't know. 4?

Probably yeah. Still I think even that drunken fool of a military advisor gave better advice than the ones in 4. And the wonder movies were amazing. I can watch them out of pure enjoyment even today. Still I´d admit that the mechanics are dated but the game is still a fun play and has more dept than 5.

Civ2 had at 2 expansions as well.
Although IIRC they mostly improved how mods and scenarios worked, rather than the core gameplay.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Quote from: Habbaku on October 17, 2011, 04:20:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2011, 02:07:51 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 16, 2011, 06:54:45 PM
Civ 3 remains my favorite in the series.

obvious troll is obvious

:zzz:

I rather liked Civ3 as well.  Though it had some glaring flaws that kept it sub-par.

The diplomacy system being the most glaring.

Darth Wagtaros

Alpha Centauri's Wondr Movies were better. 
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 17, 2011, 09:13:31 PM
Alpha Centauri's Wondr Movies were better.

They are still the best.  I think they were taken from some Indy film.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2011, 04:36:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2011, 12:33:59 AM
So is it good? I am considering downloading it too.

yes it is. It is missing the "magic" of Civ IV for some reason, but with the now patched version it is a very streamlined and good game, with meaningful choices (unlike Civ4). The one unit stacking limit is also awesome, makes for panzer generalish wars, except that the AI is not good at it.

It's high time we MP this thing.

Late game Civ 4 is a nightmare.  Way too many units to manage.  I gave up when I realised that I spent an hour on each turn on a standard map.