News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Rogue's Gallery?

Started by Kleves, September 24, 2011, 07:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has the best rogue's gallery in comics?

Batman
16 (72.7%)
Fantastic Four
0 (0%)
Spiderman
1 (4.5%)
Superman
2 (9.1%)
Wonderwoman
0 (0%)
Green Lantern
0 (0%)
X-Men
2 (9.1%)
Iron Man
0 (0%)
Captain America
0 (0%)
Other
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 10:47:16 AM

Do you have enough tacos to provide adequate sustanance for the Dr Who marathon?

What's the deal with Tacos and Dr. Who?  I've heard that before...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I would think bangers & mash or fish & chips would be the proper food to accompany Dr Who viewing.   :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 09:44:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 08:23:20 AM
Well Batman is certainly a contender.  He has by far the strongest rogue's gallery in DC.  Villains like Catwoman, Ras Al-Ghul, Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Two-Face are all good characters that have received development and love from their storytellers, and the Joker is a fucking institution to a degree that only Lex Luthor or Magneto comes close to.

If somebody was going to beat Batman, it would have to be either Spiderman (Green Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Venom, Hobgoblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven and Sandman) or the X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Mystique, the Sentinels, the Hellfire Club).  Green Lantern (Parallax, Sinestro, Star Sapphire, the Manhunters, the Qwardians, Dr. Polaris) and the Fantastic Four (Dr. Doom, Namor, Maximus, Psycho Man, Mole Man, the Wizard, the Mad Thinker) are probably a step down from there, and Captain America a step below that provided that you give him all the old Nazi groups, Stucker, Zemo and Red Skull.  Iron Man has an incredibly weak rogue's gallery in his own right (the Mandarin and a bunch of retards in armour), but he does alright as an Avenger.  Superman sucks in this regard because he's hard to challenge and you end up devaluing a character who should be a total monster of a world-beater like General Zod or Doomsday.  He's got Lex Luthor and then a bunch of scrubs.  Wonder Woman is pretty awful, because although Cheetah is kinda cool and Circe isn't bad, she's got a million goofs like the Silver Swan.

:nerd:

No shit. Posts like these consistently reinforce the notion that Neil is, in reality, nothing more than Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons.
Right.  Let's talk about the fucking seasons or appropriate dress codes at the opera.  Nothing's cooler than sitting in a dark room with old people watching Tristan und Isolde for five hours, and then discussing our feelings about autumn during the intermission while the life support system for our fetish keeps checking his watch and telling himself it's worth the money.

Fucking bitch. I loled. Good one.  :D

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2011, 12:37:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 10:47:16 AM

Do you have enough tacos to provide adequate sustanance for the Dr Who marathon?

What's the deal with Tacos and Dr. Who?  I've heard that before...

It's a line from CBG from Simpsons.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

I think Batman pretty much wins by default.  Superman is too overpowered to leave his villians much room to shine.  the Flash has a good rogue's gallery, but to most people they're just too obscure.  Spiderman's enemies can give Batman's villians a run for their money until the Joker shows up--nobody else has a villian that iconic.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2011, 03:57:12 PM

It's a line from CBG from Simpsons.

Ah, okay.  When a friend of mine found out my dad taped all those old Dr. Who's on PBS back in the 1980's and wanted to order a 50 taco deal from Taco Bell and watch them all.  Struck me as very strange.  Usually I'm pretty good at spotting Simpson quotes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Oh and incidentally, the guy is now a nuclear engineer and works at the local power plant.

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:43:04 AM
the Joker got old a long, long time ago, and even a good writer has trouble saving him from being boring (if not outright unbelievable, e.g. The Dark Knight).
What was wrong with the Dark Knight's Joker? Too few sight-gag weapons and puns?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 01:37:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 09:44:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 08:23:20 AM
Well Batman is certainly a contender.  He has by far the strongest rogue's gallery in DC.  Villains like Catwoman, Ras Al-Ghul, Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Two-Face are all good characters that have received development and love from their storytellers, and the Joker is a fucking institution to a degree that only Lex Luthor or Magneto comes close to.

If somebody was going to beat Batman, it would have to be either Spiderman (Green Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Venom, Hobgoblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven and Sandman) or the X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Mystique, the Sentinels, the Hellfire Club).  Green Lantern (Parallax, Sinestro, Star Sapphire, the Manhunters, the Qwardians, Dr. Polaris) and the Fantastic Four (Dr. Doom, Namor, Maximus, Psycho Man, Mole Man, the Wizard, the Mad Thinker) are probably a step down from there, and Captain America a step below that provided that you give him all the old Nazi groups, Stucker, Zemo and Red Skull.  Iron Man has an incredibly weak rogue's gallery in his own right (the Mandarin and a bunch of retards in armour), but he does alright as an Avenger.  Superman sucks in this regard because he's hard to challenge and you end up devaluing a character who should be a total monster of a world-beater like General Zod or Doomsday.  He's got Lex Luthor and then a bunch of scrubs.  Wonder Woman is pretty awful, because although Cheetah is kinda cool and Circe isn't bad, she's got a million goofs like the Silver Swan.

:nerd:

No shit. Posts like these consistently reinforce the notion that Neil is, in reality, nothing more than Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons.
Right.  Let's talk about the fucking seasons or appropriate dress codes at the opera.  Nothing's cooler than sitting in a dark room with old people watching Tristan und Isolde for five hours, and then discussing our feelings about autumn during the intermission while the life support system for our fetish keeps checking his watch and telling himself it's worth the money.

Fucking bitch. I loled. Good one.  :D

:hug: At least you can afford one.

I'd have done CdM too but I forgot about the unwrapped wargames.  What a dork. :P

Quote from: KlevesWhat was wrong with the Dark Knight's Joker? Too few sight-gag weapons and puns?

The apparent ability to make himself and large containers of explosives invisible bugged me.

TDK was only problematic, though, not bad.  It's difficult to say how much of this was Goyer's good material and how much was Ledger's transcendent performance.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 07:09:45 PM
I'd have done CdM too but I forgot about the unwrapped wargames.  What a dork. :P

Fuck you, pal.  If they're wrapped, I can't roll around in the maps and let the counters stick to my sweaty body.

Ed Anger

I like Harley Quinn. And women who dress up as Harley Quinn on Halloween.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Batman.  The X-Men are a very close second.  Watching Batman:  The Animated Series on The Hub just reinforces how awesome Batman's Rogue's Gallery can be when done properly though.  Amazing stuff.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Totally Batman.
Superman has Lex Luthor and I guess Spiderman has the Green Goblin and Dr Octopus (hurray for movies) but otherwise they're quite lacking in mainstream famous enemies. The X-Men's enemies too seem rather a mess with there just being Mageneto as very famous and those big roboty things somewhat known.
Batman has Catwoman, the Joker and the Penguin at least. A few lesser villains are quite well known too.

Whether most famous means best is of course very debatable but in lieu of any other way to decide its what I went with.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Batman's Rouge Gallery is the most famous because it is the best.  Batman's enemies are more interesting than Batman himself, which is pretty rare in the Superhero world.