News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Rogue's Gallery?

Started by Kleves, September 24, 2011, 07:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has the best rogue's gallery in comics?

Batman
16 (72.7%)
Fantastic Four
0 (0%)
Spiderman
1 (4.5%)
Superman
2 (9.1%)
Wonderwoman
0 (0%)
Green Lantern
0 (0%)
X-Men
2 (9.1%)
Iron Man
0 (0%)
Captain America
0 (0%)
Other
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Well Batman is certainly a contender.  He has by far the strongest rogue's gallery in DC.  Villains like Catwoman, Ras Al-Ghul, Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Two-Face are all good characters that have received development and love from their storytellers, and the Joker is a fucking institution to a degree that only Lex Luthor or Magneto comes close to.

If somebody was going to beat Batman, it would have to be either Spiderman (Green Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Venom, Hobgoblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven and Sandman) or the X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Mystique, the Sentinels, the Hellfire Club).  Green Lantern (Parallax, Sinestro, Star Sapphire, the Manhunters, the Qwardians, Dr. Polaris) and the Fantastic Four (Dr. Doom, Namor, Maximus, Psycho Man, Mole Man, the Wizard, the Mad Thinker) are probably a step down from there, and Captain America a step below that provided that you give him all the old Nazi groups, Stucker, Zemo and Red Skull.  Iron Man has an incredibly weak rogue's gallery in his own right (the Mandarin and a bunch of retards in armour), but he does alright as an Avenger.  Superman sucks in this regard because he's hard to challenge and you end up devaluing a character who should be a total monster of a world-beater like General Zod or Doomsday.  He's got Lex Luthor and then a bunch of scrubs.  Wonder Woman is pretty awful, because although Cheetah is kinda cool and Circe isn't bad, she's got a million goofs like the Silver Swan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 08:23:20 AM
Well Batman is certainly a contender.  He has by far the strongest rogue's gallery in DC.  Villains like Catwoman, Ras Al-Ghul, Penguin, Riddler, Poison Ivy and Two-Face are all good characters that have received development and love from their storytellers, and the Joker is a fucking institution to a degree that only Lex Luthor or Magneto comes close to.

If somebody was going to beat Batman, it would have to be either Spiderman (Green Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Venom, Hobgoblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven and Sandman) or the X-Men (Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Mystique, the Sentinels, the Hellfire Club).  Green Lantern (Parallax, Sinestro, Star Sapphire, the Manhunters, the Qwardians, Dr. Polaris) and the Fantastic Four (Dr. Doom, Namor, Maximus, Psycho Man, Mole Man, the Wizard, the Mad Thinker) are probably a step down from there, and Captain America a step below that provided that you give him all the old Nazi groups, Stucker, Zemo and Red Skull.  Iron Man has an incredibly weak rogue's gallery in his own right (the Mandarin and a bunch of retards in armour), but he does alright as an Avenger.  Superman sucks in this regard because he's hard to challenge and you end up devaluing a character who should be a total monster of a world-beater like General Zod or Doomsday.  He's got Lex Luthor and then a bunch of scrubs.  Wonder Woman is pretty awful, because although Cheetah is kinda cool and Circe isn't bad, she's got a million goofs like the Silver Swan.

:nerd:

Viking

X-Men, if only because the bad guys often aren't evil, only have severe differences of opinion with the good guys.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Neil's right about Wonder Woman's villains.  I mean, I like Giganta and Dr. Psycho alright, but they're all pretty B-list.  Maybe Ares, I guess.

The Flash has an outstanding rogue's gallery, from literal antithesis Eobard Thawne to a loser like Heatwave, who is basically an idiot with a flamethrower.  At the same time, they're often poorly handled, because Geoff Johns has pretty much defined the Flash for a decade and doesn't write very well.  He does a good Captain Cold, though, who's actually one of my favorite villains.

I'd actually probably say Superman.  He doesn't have enough really good enemies, but between Lex Luthor and Brainiac, he has the best; also, you can include Legion of Super-Heroes enemies if you want.  I also like the Cyborg, even if his origin is sort of lazy and he can come off as whiny and sometimes undermotivated.  Doomsday himself is also a really good antagonist, but truly could only be used effectively once, so all his appearances subsequent to The Death of Superman actually undermine the quality of Supes' rogues gallery.

The point is, though, that Lex Luthor is worth a thousand Jokers.  Luthor, especially after John Byrne redefined him, never really got old, and in a good writer's hands, like Grant Morrison or Paul Cornell, is endlessly entertaining; the Joker got old a long, long time ago, and even a good writer has trouble saving him from being boring (if not outright unbelievable, e.g. The Dark Knight).  Batman's villains suffer from almost unanimously having severe mental disorders, which tend to limit their personalities to pretty narrow confines.  The exception is Ra's and Talia, but they've been badly handled for years too.

However, if you cast the net on Batman's rogues gallery wide enough to include Catman and Deadshot, I guess he might win by technicality, at least in the DC universe.

I'd also like to mention Adam Warlock, though: if you've got Thanos and the Magus, I don't see how anyone could beat that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 08:37:22 AM

No shit. Posts like these consistently reinforce the notion that Neil is, in reality, nothing more than Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 09:44:42 AM

No shit. Posts like these consistently reinforce the notion that Neil is, in reality, nothing more than Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons.
Right.  Let's talk about the fucking seasons or appropriate dress codes at the opera.  Nothing's cooler than sitting in a dark room with old people watching Tristan und Isolde for five hours, and then discussing our feelings about autumn during the intermission while the life support system for our fetish keeps checking his watch and telling himself it's worth the money.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM
Right.  Let's talk about the fucking seasons or appropriate dress codes at the opera.  Nothing's cooler than sitting in a dark room with old people watching Tristan und Isolde for five hours, and then discussing our feelings about autumn during the intermission while the life support system for our fetish keeps checking his watch and telling himself it's worth the money.

But then it's art.  That's the difference.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:43:04 AM
I'd actually probably say Superman.  He doesn't have enough really good enemies, but between Lex Luthor and Brainiac, he has the best; also, you can include Legion of Super-Heroes enemies if you want.  I also like the Cyborg, even if his origin is sort of lazy and he can come off as whiny and sometimes undermotivated.  Doomsday himself is also a really good antagonist, but truly could only be used effectively once, so all his appearances subsequent to The Death of Superman actually undermine the quality of Supes' rogues gallery.
How can you not mention Darksied?
The point is, though, that Lex Luthor is worth a thousand Jokers.  Luthor, especially after John Byrne redefined him, never really got old, and in a good writer's hands, like Grant Morrison or Paul Cornell, is endlessly entertaining; the Joker got old a long, long time ago, and even a good writer has trouble saving him from being boring (if not outright unbelievable, e.g. The Dark Knight). 

I completely disagree, the Joker is far more interesting than Luthor, and I voted for Batman because of him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 09:43:04 AM
I'd also like to mention Adam Warlock, though: if you've got Thanos and the Magus, I don't see how anyone could beat that.
Silver Surfer's pretty good too.  I like the Elders of the Universe and the other heralds, but Thanos and Galactus are an awesome one-two punch.

I'll give you a little bit of credit on Superman's gallery, as Brainiac is a good villain and Darkseid is generally impressive, but I don't think that it's on the same level as the top tier, and all of his villains require very careful usage to avoid becoming humdrum, even moreso than other characters.  Luthor the anti-Superman industrialist is much, much better than the old Luthor the archcriminal, I'll give you that.  At the same time, I don't think he has the gravitas and compelling origin of Magneto, nor the same cultural resonance of the Joker.

We don't really see much of the Joker these days, do we?  The last time I remember seeing him was when he was in Total Monster mode in Birds of Prey.  Then again, I don't read a lot of DC right now, since they've decided to suck for the next couple of years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2011, 10:08:28 AM
How can you not mention Darksied?
It could be because he considers him to be more of a New Gods enemy than a Superman enemy.

And no, I would never consider the Legion villains to also be Superman villains, just because to me the Legion was something greater than Superman, and Superman was just passing through.

Neil

Great.  You and Martinus can get together and talk about what flavour of cock you like best and you can teach him how not to play wargames.

Fag.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 10:26:17 AM
Great.  You and Martinus can get together and talk about what flavour of cock you like best and you can teach him how not to play wargames.

Fag.

Do you have enough tacos to provide adequate sustanance for the Dr Who marathon?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 24, 2011, 10:47:16 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 10:26:17 AM

Fag.
Do you have enough tacos to provide adequate sustanance for the Dr Who marathon?
Tacos?  This is Alberta.  We don't truck with your filthy Tim-food.