Pennsylvania Ponders Bold Democrat-Screwing Electoral Plan

Started by jimmy olsen, September 14, 2011, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Probably because we're smart enough to realize that a politically neutral body is a fiction.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on September 15, 2011, 10:02:19 PM
Probably because we're smart enough to realize that a politically neutral body is a fiction.
Or, more likely, the party that would have to do away with gerrymandering is the same party that is in charge of gerrymandering.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2011, 09:56:29 PM
Why doesn`t America have a proper, functional, politically neutral body for drawing up district lines?
Gerrymandering seems such a big part of things over there and it is so obviously wrong.

Because both parties would have to agree to set up such a body, and neither party wants to (except in a very few boring states).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 15, 2011, 11:19:41 PM
Why doesn`t America have a proper, functional, politically neutral body for drawing up district lines?
Gerrymandering seems such a big part of things over there and it is so obviously wrong.

Because both parties would have to agree to set up such a body, and neither party wants to (except in a very few boring states).

Surely doing away with some of the dirtyness and corruption in politics should be a big vote winner?
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Lots of places in the US do have that. Penn is controlled by Teamsters though, and it easier for them to control things the way it is.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

A politically neutral electoral body would only remove the gerrymandering by one iteration. You'd just end up with the parties altering the framework on how to divide seats in such a way as to benefit the party in power.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on September 15, 2011, 10:02:19 PM

But it's a very useful fiction.

Sure, everyone has a political background in such a thing.  But they have at the very least pay lip service to being politically neutral, and remove the most obvious political influence from the process.

I can tell you we have nothing close to the level of gerrymandering that goes on in the US up here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2011, 12:53:53 PMI can tell you we have nothing close to the level of gerrymandering that goes on in the US up here.
Same.  The government's cutting the number of MPs and the Boundary Commission's just released its draft proposals for England.  Because it's England it inevitably favours the Tories but three Tory cabinet ministers (including the Chancellor of the Exchequer), a Lib Dem minister and Nick Clegg are all set to lose their seats.  Obviously their parties'll make sure they can find a new safe seat (I don't know how possible this is for Clegg because I think all of Sheffield's seats are looking marginal at best for a Lib Dem).

But I don't think there's been any real worries about gerrymandering in years.  The closest I can think of was maybe Westminster Council in the 80s?

QuoteProbably because we're smart enough to realize that a politically neutral body is a fiction.
I think you can.  But I also don't think that's an excuse to make something, effectively, corrupt.  I think a number of states have established a bipartisan system of doing this with some way of avoiding gerrymandering.  Can't remember the procedure, but I think California was the latest.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2011, 10:52:12 PM
The real question is why we even have states. <_<

To demarcate the evolved from the heathen masses. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 01:09:38 PM
Everything evolves.  What are you, some kind of creationist weirdo?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2011, 01:09:38 PM

Don't you come from San Fran?   That's like ground zero of filthy heathen masses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2011, 11:30:09 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 15, 2011, 11:19:41 PM

Surely doing away with some of the dirtyness and corruption in politics should be a big vote winner?

The dirtiest secret in politics is that most voters don't really want clean government.