Breaking News - Embassy Hostage Crisis In Cairo ?

Started by mongers, September 09, 2011, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2011, 02:12:36 AM
Marty is right. Anti-semitism is a very new phenomenom, triggered by Israel's vocal support of falling Egyptian tyrant Mubarak.

So, I guess we are still on track to resolve this recession like the one in the 30s, ha?

Fuck off, IT tard. Israel is unpopular in the region, and its decades of dealings with the dictator (and supporting him as he was being toppled) certainly do not help that.

Sic semper tyrannis - and those who stand with them. I do not have any sympathy for a country that gets chummy with "our" tyrant and then acts all hurt when the people who suffered under the tyrant hate it for that.

Martinus

Anyway, when I speak of Israel in the above posts, I speak of the corrupt nationalist, settler and orthodox alliance that has held the Israeli politics in its grip for decades.

The real Israel's hope is in the Tel Aviv's State Square - and I root for them.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:59:15 AM
Anyway, when I speak of Israel in the above posts, I speak of the corrupt nationalist, settler and orthodox alliance that has held the Israeli politics in its grip for decades.

The rent control rabble is the real Israel's hope? WTF?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:51:39 AMFuck off, IT tard. Israel is unpopular in the region, and its decades of dealings with the dictator (and supporting him as he was being toppled) certainly do not help that.

Sic semper tyrannis - and those who stand with them. I do not have any sympathy for a country that gets chummy with "our" tyrant and then acts all hurt when the people who suffered under the tyrant hate it for that.

it's israel's fault that they had warm relations with a man who did not want to have them all murdered in their sleep, and who they could actually conduct diplomacy with? i think the people of egypt would have hated israel regardless of their conduct with the old "tyrant"

dps

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 01:12:20 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2011, 07:43:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 07:41:57 PM
Why are they protesting?
Israel's existence, I assume.

How about Israel's vocal support for Mubarak until the last moment, instead? Now they reap what they sow.

At least Obama was smart enough to switch the side America was on when he saw where the wind was blowing.

Frankly, I can't really blame Egyptians for disliking the Israelis over this. You can just as well wonder why Poland or the Baltics do not like the Soviets too much.

Actually, it's probably more like Poland's 1935 anti-aggression pact with Germany.  That's not a particularly good analogy, but it's better than comparing it to the relation between the Baltic States or Poland to Russia.  Mabye the post-WWII relations between the Finns and the Soviets would fit.

Syt

Austrian radio said this was a (rather late?) response to some Egyptian border dudes dieing during an Israeli retaliatory attack on Gaza recently?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:51:39 AM
Marty is right. Anti-semitism is a very new phenomenom, triggered by Israel's vocal support of falling Egyptian tyrant Mubarak.

So, I guess we are still on track to resolve this recession like the one in the 30s, ha?

Fuck off, IT tard. Israel is unpopular in the region, and its decades of dealings with the dictator (and supporting him as he was being toppled) certainly do not help that.

Perfect example.  Turkey isn't becoming more anti-Israel because it's leaning more toward Asia.  It's becoming more anti-Israel because it's leaning toward Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 01:20:52 AM
Didn't Turkey start military cooperation with Egypt recently? I don't think Turkey (not to mention, a lot of other countries in the region) would sit idly on their hands if Israel invaded Egypt.
I don't think it was anything formal but they're getting closer and Erdogan's visiting Cairo next week.

Quoteit's israel's fault that they had warm relations with a man who did not want to have them all murdered in their sleep, and who they could actually conduct diplomacy with? i think the people of egypt would have hated israel regardless of their conduct with the old "tyrant"
Let's not mythologise Mubarak as a friend of Israel.  He did business with Israel and then blamed them for everything wrong with Egypt, including the revolution.  He never visited Israel and, as the Qatari Emir was wikileaked saying, Mubarak wasn't interested in helping the peace process or anything like that except in so far as it helped him.  I think that's in contrast to, say, Sadat or even Suleiman.

But I think this is what's shifted in the Middle East, the people now matter.  I think it's going to lead to far more pressure on Palestine but the day of Israel simply dealing with 'moderate' tyrants whether openly (Egypt and Jordan) or discreetly (Saudi) are over, I think that's disconcerting and will be difficult, especially for Bibi to manage.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2011, 03:03:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:59:15 AM

The rent control rabble is the real Israel's hope? WTF?
He saw a movie or read an article in a fag mag.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

How about Israel's vocal support for Mubarak until the last moment, instead? Now they reap what they sow.
You're confusing cause and effect.  The Israelis supported Mubbarak because the Egyptian people are dedicated to the extermination of every Jew, everywhere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

LaCroix

Ancient Demon

At least Obama was smart enough to switch the side America was on when he saw where the wind was blowing.

Frankly, I can't really blame Egyptians for disliking the Israelis over this. You can just as well wonder why Poland or the Baltics do not like the Soviets too much.
You must be very ignorant of the region and its history to think Israeli support for Mubarak is the reason Egyptians hate Israel.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Sheilbh

I just read that apparently the same group that went from State Security to the Israeli Embassy tried to set up a protest outside the Saudi Embassy too and were tear gassed away before it could get settled.  That sounds to me like this was against counter-revolutionary forces and (possibly) the Israelis were allowed to bear the brunt.

Given the growing dissatisfaction with the SCAF and the Egyptian government (and I had high hopes for 'I draw my legitimacy from you!' Sharaf) it feels sort of like we've already slid away from 1789 and are heading to '92.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

1789?  Egypt doesn't have native, violently nationalist intellectuals that could produce that sort of result.

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2011, 05:38:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 02:51:39 AM

Perfect example.  Turkey isn't becoming more anti-Israel because it's leaning more toward Asia.  It's becoming more anti-Israel because it's leaning toward Europe.

I think this is the 4th similar attempt to troll some poor euro into "arguing" with you in the last couple of days.

I'm sorry it's not working out so far.  :console: