Breaking News - Embassy Hostage Crisis In Cairo ?

Started by mongers, September 09, 2011, 07:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Breaking news from Cairo, the Israeli embassy is under seige from demonstrators.

Reports that it might be getting 'out of hand'.

President Obama has spoken to the Israelis in response to a fall from them for help in resolving the situation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

They're climbing into the building.  The Israelis had been planning to build a wall around the embassy/office block in response to recent protests.

Sky News are, of course, having talking heads talking about Osborne and Lagarde.  Luckily Al-Jazeera English has live coverage and some commentary.

Edit:  Apparently Israeli embassy staff are at the airport waiting to leave.  The Egyptian PM's called an emergency cabinet meeting.  The building's been broken into and lots of papers thrown from the windows, but it's not clear if they've actually got into the Israeli embassy yet.

Edit again: Apparently the IDF's airplane's already landed at Cairo airport and is ready to evacuate the staff there if necessary.  It also sounds like the people who broke in have left but there's a ruckus between large protests outside the embassy and the police.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Interesting.  Apparently this started with protests outside the State Security HQ and then moved on.  So far the military's keeping out of it and there's generally non-violent crowd dispersion going on - tear gas and the like - though abotu 150 have been injured.  This is in contrast with when the military cleared Tahrir Square (which looks like it's filling up a bit tonight) at the start of Ramadan when people died and it was the army who led the whole thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

The stuff at the State Security looks like it was getting quite serious.  There are burning cars, molotov cocktails and the like.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Egyptian police kettled the crowd to the embassy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

The new masters of Egypt need a yank on the chain.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on September 09, 2011, 07:39:16 PM
The new masters of Egypt need a yank on the chain.

by running the assholes over with those M60 tanks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grallon on September 09, 2011, 07:20:23 PM
Arab spring will usher democracy  :lol:

Isn't this will of the Egyptian people? If Egypt becomes a democracy their foreign policy will be hostile to Israel by default.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

The crowd's apparently in the thousands at, I think, 0245.  The State Security and Interior Ministry are having their security beefed up.

Just saw a guy in a Nasser t-shirt.  I had no idea he was seen in that way :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Al-Jazeera have a rather attractive correspondent in Cairo, Sherine Tadros.  :wub:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.